Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    <3 carbs
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Metabolically how is refined sugar different from sugars found in fruits?

I'd love to know your answer to this question. Does it make a difference, metabolically speaking?
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I eat ~ 300g of carbs of day....im gonna die :(
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about cutting carbs as well, mostly because I want to trim a little extra fat (my weight is very healthy though) but I'm training for a half marathon, so low carb isn't really an option. I might experiment with it after my race. I don't think carbs will make you fat though, and I generally find low carb dieting unnecessary.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I need carbs. I had an off day and was very low on carbs and was exhausted. I just *try* to stay away from processed starchy white carbs. I get most of my carbs from fruit. I am having pasta for dinner, but I switched to whole grain. I'm Italian, so if I don't have a certain amount of carbs someone in my house will probably get shot.
  • kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    for me at least, low carb has been the way to go. as with any diet plan though it only works as hard as you do. you have to be strict with it. A great way to cut out bad carbs would be to cut out corn syrup. Corn syrup imparts a ridiculously high glycemic load on your body and can actually end up making you hungrier in the long run.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My take on carbs...
    1) I love them!
    2) They don't affect my weight loss
    3) I feel dizzy if I don't get enough carbs.

I have around 2-300g a day on average.
  • kk281
    Options
    I need carbs. I had an off day and was very low on carbs and was exhausted. I just *try* to stay away from processed starchy white carbs. I get most of my carbs from fruit. I am having pasta for dinner, but I switched to whole grain. I'm Italian, so if I don't have a certain amount of carbs someone in my house will probably get shot.

it takes about two weeks for your body to adjust to a low carb lifestyle, and yes while your metabolism adjusts you may feel a decrease in energy, but once your body has adjusted i have found that i get an explosive amount of energy.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what works for me, so you can start looking at this to see if it works for you. I watch my daily percentages of carb/fat/protein intake (using the cool pie chart), and try to keep them around 50 / 30 / 20, respectively. This is my "magic" formula and where I lose weight. It may be different for you.

Oh, and while I do allow "bad" carbs in there (processed sugars like cookies & ice cream), I also eat A LOT of fruit. I minimize foods/beverages w high fructose corn syrup and/or white flour - though it is not completely eliminated from my food choices.

Good luck!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 pounds in just over a year and a half...the first 60 I lost doing, not low carb, but the RIGHT carbs.
    After losing the 60, I took up running and have had to increase my carb intake, but I've still dropped another 30 pounds doing that, but because I'm burning it by running 2.5-5 miles 5 days a week and training for distance races at least once a year.

Carbs are not the enemy, but if you're going to have them, you have to burn them. If you're not a runner or into some other sport where you're getting a LOT of cardio, then I'd suggest sticking to the carbs you get from fresh fruits, vegetables and a reasonable amount of whole grains.

Even as a runner, I avoid "white" carbs. I eat only whole grain bread with NO high fructose corn syrup, whole grain pasta, no potatoes, no rice (with the exception of the occasional sushi binge) :)

It all depends on what works for YOU and your body, though. We all lose/gain/burn at different rates....trial and error.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My take is that people who have insulin related conditions should probably consume low-ish carb intake.
    My take is that people who do not have these conditions, usually do not need to do a low-carb plan.

Lastly, I do think protein and fat are physiologically of higher importance, but there's nothing magical about low-carb dieting.

This. Some people are metabolically deranged - diabetic/pre-diabetic - and do not process carbs well. If you lose weight quickly on a low carb diet, I would say that's an indication that you should stay away from carbs as a lifestyle.

I am diabetic, and very aware of carbs in my food. "Good" carbs from fruit or whole wheat bread have the same affect on me as "bad" carbs from cookies and cake. That being said, I feel like less processed food is a healthier choice.

Some people obviously do fine on high carb diets. You have to learn what works best for you.
  • kk281
    Options
    Metabolically how is refined sugar different from sugars found in fruits?

I'd love to know your answer to this question. Does it make a difference, metabolically speaking?

refined sugar is a more complex molecule and you body has to work harder to break it down. while burning more calories to break down your food may sound like a good thing, its actually not. burning more calories in digestion means that you will be hungrier soon, then you eat more refined sugar, get hungrier sooner, etc.

i actually just read an interest study that deal with whole foods v refined foods:

http://www.foodandnutritionresearch.net/index.php/fnr/article/viewArticle/5144/5755

also refine sugars also load more sugar into your body (their glycemic index is higher) this rapid increase in blood sugar cause your body to ramp up insulin production to deal with the sudden increase. you're body over reacts and make too much insulin so when the refine sugar eaten is gone, you have excess insulin in your body. this causes you to eat more to use up the excess insulin.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My take is that people who have insulin related conditions should probably consume low-ish carb intake.
    My take is that people who do not have these conditions, usually do not need to do a low-carb plan.

Lastly, I do think protein and fat are physiologically of higher importance, but there's nothing magical about low-carb dieting.

I agree with the above. The real question is how many and why. (or as my friend Acg67 would say, dose and context) If you are working out regularly and intensely, you probably need more than if you are not. My personal expereince with low carb diets are that they have a short term benefit but are not sustainable long term and, for me, I gained back all that I lost. I heard this story repeated often on these boards.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind I am not physiologist and this is my basic understanding. Sugar found in fruit is very similar to the regular old table sugar, the difference is the fiber (or lack there of). Fiber found in fruit and whole grains slows the digestion of the sugars they accompany and thus keeps blood sugar more level...which apparently is a more desirable state.
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/about.php

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/27/low-glycemic-foods-diet_n_1630893.html
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I personally watch my carb/sugar intake over calories. But, I think it's more about quality of food rather than quantity. I stick to under 100 carbs, and try to at least have 100 grams of protein. That doesn't mean I don't have a piece of toast once in a while!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs. I have done attempts to lower them or keep them below 100-130, but it's just not do-able for me! You just need to find what works for you. :)
    Everyone needs carbs especially if you do heavy cardio and/or lifting, and like with fats, if you stick to healthy carbs in balance with everything else, your body can use it!
    While low carb may work, for most its only short term, especially since it's very, very difficult to stick to for the rest of your life. I've also read about a certain relation to blood type being better fit for certain diets/macros, like type A doing well on vegan diets and types O are good on diets higher in meat/protein, but I'm not sure how much truth is in that, haha
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    In today's Express.

HEART ATTACK RISK IN DIETING

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/329161/Heart-attack-risk-in-dieting
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    helpful...
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    In today's Express.

HEART ATTACK RISK IN DIETING

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/329161/Heart-attack-risk-in-dieting

Dang so I am gonna die eating carbs and not eating carbs.... ./sigh
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A carbohydrate is an organic compound that consists only of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, usually with a hydrogen:oxygen atom ratio of 2:1 (as in water); in other words, with the empirical formula Cm(H2O)n. (Some exceptions exist; for example, deoxyribose, a component of DNA, has the empirical formula C5H10O4.) Carbohydrates are not technically hydrates of carbon. Structurally it is more accurate to view them as polyhydroxy aldehydes and ketones.

Helpful...