Protein doesn't fill me up

Options
Everywhere I look on MFP people are talking about eating protein to stay full, eat less and be healthier. Am I the only person that can eat a ton of protein and still be hungry? Is it something that has to build up or is it just the change in habits that makes you feel more satisfied?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    When you say 'eat protein' in what form are you talking about?

Lean meats?
    Protein powders?

Where does the majority of your protein consumption come from?
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    They don't fill me up, either. I'm talking lean meats, almonds and protein powders. Protein powders are probably the best at filling me up just because I mix it with water or milk and that's a lot of liquid in my tummy.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I eat lean meats, eggs, cheese (not a lot of that) and occasionally protein powder.

I might feel full or satisfied for an hour at most if protein was the majority of my meal.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    That, my dear, depends.

First of all, when most people increase protein, fat is also increased as a consequence. By increasing my protein and fat I was not so hungry and not as often.

But I have some suspicions.......

FOR ME, it wasn't all about hunger. I just wanted to eat. Any eating that does not include actual need for food is emotional. What I originally associated as "being hungry" had nothing to do with my stomach growling, or needing food to go on. It was me trying to fill emotional gaps...boredom......loneliness....sadness.....etc. Because even while eating, after eating, I was not "satisfied". Battling emotional eating is a real challenge for most of us.

I don't know that is what you are experiencing, but most Americans have not felt hunger in a long time. Just the desire to eat. You need to ensure that it is hunger not wanting to eat.

Also what is your water intake, actual thirst is often misidentified as hunger. If you aren't drinking WATER, it could be that as well.

Finally, some people need a large amount of fibrous carbs (leafy greens) to feel full.

Just my two cents.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    When you say 'eat protein' in what form are you talking about?

Lean meats?
    Protein powders?

Where does the majority of your protein consumption come from?

what he said, because I know protein shakes do not fill me up like some grilled chicken or steak does .... ps Fiber will help give you that "full feeling" .. if you have a high protein low carb diet you will need that extra fiber
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I eat lean meats, eggs, cheese (not a lot of that) and occasionally protein powder.

I might feel full or satisfied for an hour at most if protein was the majority of my meal.

Well the most simple solution would be just to add more calorie-light ingredients to whatever you are already eating.

Vegetables and rice (within your carb allowance) fill me up like nothing else.
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating too much bad carbs I get hungry really fast, even if my protein intake is high. But if I'm staying low on the bad carbs and high on protein that keeps me full.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Define "a ton". And like Brute said, increase fiber intake by eating lots of veggies everyday, that should fill you up as well. Including a moderate amount of fat (around 40-65g) will help with satiation (staying full between meals).

As far as protein powders - try a casein powder - it's slow digesting and will sit in your stomach much longer than whey.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    are you properly hydrated?
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Options
    I definately get enough water... usually more than 12 cups a day.

Eating a mix of types of foods might be the trick I'm missing, sometimes I forget to do that. Really how I respond to food depends on the day. I need to make notes about how I felt after eating on my diary.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Solid protein + veggies is generally filling. But, you have to take into account other factors too though. If you have really well marinated suculent ribeye or something, then it can still be easy to overeat. However, solid protein has been shown to be the most satiating macronutrient.

Remember that if you're used to over-eating, then it takes time for your body to adjust to eating less.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking 1-2 cups of water before every meal? I can guarantee you will feel fuller.

EDIT I saw the above post about you drinking 12 cups, are you drinking them throughout the day or before your meals? That can make a difference sometimes.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Options
    Yea I drink a lot of water when I eat. Which actually seems to make me feel hungrier sometimes. It more that I don't feel satisfied for long enough, not that I don't feel full when I'm done eating. I can't stand eating and then feeling hungry again an hour later.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont think veg fills me at all, but if I eat more protein like salmon it does, Veg is so good for you, but its containes lots of water and soon breaks down in your body, which explains why im not full after a roast dinner.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Try not drinking while eating. For me, this helps me stay fuller longer. I dont drink for at least an hour after I eat...my food sits longer and I'm not hungry. To curb the need to eat (not actual hunger) I chew gum or mints. Sunflower seeds are good for me too - lots sof tiny pieces, and not many calories. I tend to eat one serving thru out the day.
  • laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    sometimes it doesn't fill me up either. But I also have to realize (going off of what someone posted earlier) being hungry and "feeling" hungry are two different things. I'm a very visual and emotional eater. I get into trouble when I think I'm supposed to feel full all the time. In fact, when I've exercised, counted calories and lost weight in the past (when I was most successful) I never actually felt "full". For me, I do better when I eat several small meals so I can fend off the feeling of feeling hungry and have the satisfaction of eating. But I think that many Americans are obese because we think we need to be full all the time, I'm not saying this is you, I'm just making a comment. It's ok to feel hungry and not eat if you are eating properly. That is the HARDEST part for me. Because then I want to eat when I'm bored, or tired, or mad, or sad, or any reason at all. Or if I see someone eating something good my mind does not rest until I have it myself, even if it's 3 days later!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    you need new protein.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Have you tried vegetable sources of protein like kidney beans or chickpeas, they really fill you up especially in a curry with loads of other veg.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I get what I call "hunger pains" when I eat raw carrots, but I think it is really my body trying to figure out what I just put into my stomach, like omg what is this foreign matter???

I have a hard time eating even half of my protein goal each day, so that is my goal to up that. I really do like a small handful of almonds right before bed, my blood sugar level in the morning is usually excellent when I do that. But I find even a glass of 1% milk fills me up for a couple of hours now where a year ago it did not.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. A couple of weeks ago, I did something I don't usually do - drastically altered my eating habits. I've been striving to cut out grains. I'm currently down to just a small bowl of cereal in the morning (currently, for lack of a better, easy substitute to go with my eggs). Ever since then, I've been able to feel satiated off of a lot less and a more protein-heavy meal. For me, at least, I think having breads and pastas and whatnot with a lot of meals made it harder to feel "full" when they were absent.

It might be worth a try, even if it's only for a week or two. If nothing else, it would force you to get creative with your meals.