Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

driving as an exercise?

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    I saw someone posted they burned so may calories by driving. does this sound crazy to anyone else? if so then I should be logging it because I drive 2 hours a day!

I can see why it seems strange, but it depends on a number of things. If they logged a lot of calories burned that way, then yeah, they're cheating themselves. I don't log driving time, but it could make sense for some people to. I saw on a documentary once that said it's typical to burn about an extra 120 cals/hour driving. That's partly because it raises our heart-rate even when there's no exercise involved, but people who drive a stick or don't have power steering put more physical effort in.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Does waking up in the morning count as exercise? I put a huge effort into turning off the alarm several times before actually getting up.

Ahaha LOVE IT! I throw my alarm. I think mines a workout :P

throwing the alarm clock you say? That easily burns enough to reward you with a bowl of ice cream at the end of the day!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    For most people, it would probably be included in their normal daily activities. But I suppose it might make sense to log it if one were doing it for hours on end outside of normal activities.
    Driving Car

Driving a vehicle, such as a car or truck, is a transportation activity performed out of necessity or for leisure. Driving burns few calories, although it improves focus and concentration. Driving under intense conditions, such as inclement weather or over rough terrain, works the bodyメs reflexes.

Pros: Improves Reflexes
    Cons: Does Not Involve Much Physical Activity

http://www.exercise.com/activity/driving-car

The calculator at that site says that driving burns about 3.25 calories a minute for someone my weight. I've no clue whether that is gross or net of my 1.3 calories/minute BMR or 1.7 calories/minute sedentary TDEE.

Of course for someone who logs driving, the real calorie burn is dealing with all the judgmental people who have very strong opinions about what other people put in their exercise log.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Now I am never going to personally count it as exercise, but I do a lot of PC simulated auto racing. The fact that I am racing alone increases my heart rate. Muscle groups in the arms and lower legs are obviously used a lot. I would dare say that I am burning more calories that I would sitting watching TV.

NASCAR drivers burn a ton of calories from their adrenaline going, heart rate up, and arms control so long and their fires suits being on so long. It gets hot in there (over 100 degrees) and they lose a lot of water weight each race and have to stay hydrated.

However, we are not all NASCAR drivers...lol. :tongue:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    I have never logged that...lol

Are they a race car driver? Because then yes, definitely... Your heart rate is pumping!
    However, I mean...I could see where they might think to count those calories as driving a light vehicle does require focus and simple muscle coordination. Maneuvering a car over various roads and terrain will engage the upper body, and you will usually burn more calories steering and navigating in adverse conditions. You definitely burn more calories doing that then just sitting still....but I don't think it is smart to count it....and I sure hope they aren't eating back their exercise calories.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Clearly y'all just want to have something to gripe about. Go ahead. And since I know you're not griping about me specifically, since none of you are my MFP "friends", I couldn't care less. But maybe you should be aware of at least one reason why someone might log driving.

I log my time spent driving on my FitBit account (which syncs with MFP). If I don't log it as "driving" I can't be sure that my FitBit won't award me extra steps or stairs climbed.
    *Edit for typo
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Of course for someone who logs driving, the real calorie burn is dealing with all the judgmental people who have very strong opinions about what other people put in their exercise log.
    BINGO!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member

The calculator at that site says that driving burns about 3.25 calories a minute for someone my weight. I've no clue whether that is gross or net of my 1.3 calories/minute BMR or 1.7 calories/minute sedentary TDEE.

. . . .

I'm guessing the 3.25 is gross, based on the 1.62 calories/minute the site says I burn watching TV, which is about as close a possible to being in a coma.
    Watching TV

Watching TV is considered a very low intensity activity which usually result in participants sitting on a couch or chair and staring ahead at a TV monitor for extended periods of time. Some participants might exercise while they watch TV, but in its original form, participants burn very few calories and donメt exert much energy.

Cons: May Promote Lethargy
    May Be Bad for Posture
    Burns Very Few Calories

http://www.exercise.com/activity/watching-tv

So I'd say for someone like me, an hour of driving burns about 100 calories more than sleeping or watching TV. Not much, but not nothing.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    There are several factors here to regarding driving as an exercise.

-What if your car doesn't have an air conditioner that works. You are gonna sweat so therefore you must be exercising.
    -If you drive an car with a manual transmission that is twice the foot work, and think about how much a transmission weighs. You are moving a lot of parts around in that thing.
    -Does every car have power windows and seats? The average window takes 8.2 cranks to go from closed to completely open. And if you are sitting in the seat when you adjust it you just pushed your body weight and the weight of the seat at least a few inches.
    -Reaching through the window to both pay and grab your food at the drive-thru. I am short (5'6") so that is a pretty good stretch for me.
    -And of course the steering wheel. Unless you drive and absolute straight line to work every day, you are turning that wheel quite often. If you do not have power steering, even better for the workout.

There is of course the mental workout of driving as well. And as we all know the organ that consumes the most energy is the brain. Think about ho wlong and hard you search to find the closest parking spot to the door, and the split second reaction time you must have to keep the jerk in the other car from stealing it.

I think I will stop riding my bike as clearly, I will get more of a burn from this.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    I saw someone posted they burned so may calories by driving. does this sound crazy to anyone else? if so then I should be logging it because I drive 2 hours a day!

its not that serious.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Now I am never going to personally count it as exercise, but I do a lot of PC simulated auto racing. The fact that I am racing alone increases my heart rate. Muscle groups in the arms and lower legs are obviously used a lot. I would dare say that I am burning more calories that I would sitting watching TV.

NASCAR drivers burn a ton of calories from their adrenaline going, heart rate up, and arms control so long and their fires suits being on so long. It gets hot in there (over 100 degrees) and they lose a lot of water weight each race and have to stay hydrated.

However, we are not all NASCAR drivers...lol. :tongue:

I think the actual calorie burn has more to do with the G Forces exerted on the body, and the muscles contracting over and over again to keep said driver up-right and paying attention. Just being hot and having an increase HR does NOT burn additional calories.

However, I'd bet 99% of people on MFP don't even get close to that type of driving. Here's a scientific test you can do. Go to a truck stop, observe actual truckers...and then tell me if you think driving burns calories?

That being said, I don't get too worked up over what people log. They'll either be successful...or they won't.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    was it a flintstones car?

^^^LOL :laugh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    There are several factors here to regarding driving as an exercise.

-What if your car doesn't have an air conditioner that works. You are gonna sweat so therefore you must be exercising.
    -If you drive an car with a manual transmission that is twice the foot work, and think about how much a transmission weighs. You are moving a lot of parts around in that thing.
    -Does every car have power windows and seats? The average window takes 8.2 cranks to go from closed to completely open. And if you are sitting in the seat when you adjust it you just pushed your body weight and the weight of the seat at least a few inches.
    -Reaching through the window to both pay and grab your food at the drive-thru. I am short (5'6") so that is a pretty good stretch for me.
    -And of course the steering wheel. Unless you drive and absolute straight line to work every day, you are turning that wheel quite often. If you do not have power steering, even better for the workout.

There is of course the mental workout of driving as well. And as we all know the organ that consumes the most energy is the brain. Think about ho wlong and hard you search to find the closest parking spot to the door, and the split second reaction time you must have to keep the jerk in the other car from stealing it.

I think I will stop riding my bike as clearly, I will get more of a burn from this.

^^^LOL good one!
  • Rosa1455
    Rosa1455 Posts: 38
    That sounds crazy!!!!!!! I have seen where some people put down calories burned for cooking and preparing a meal, lol
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    maybe that is their "safe word" for sex.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Seriously has it come down to every time you take a poop you log it!??!?! poop....log....there's a joke in there somewhere.

I'm thinking maybe he's a delivery driver? That would make sense...I guess. Although you would just have your settings set to active then?!!??!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Maybe if they were a Nascar driver... but not if they are just making a commute home... even if other drivers raise your blood pressure...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I log my time spent driving on my FitBit account (which syncs with MFP). If I don't log it as "driving" I can't be sure that my FitBit won't award me extra steps or stairs climbed.
    *Edit for typo

That makes sense... I would do it too, in this instance.
  • jodi8785
    jodi8785 Posts: 29 Member
    maybe that is their "safe word" for sex.

that's awesome! haha! and I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was really wondering if I am missing something. I think I am going to continue NOT logging driving since it is a part of my normal everyday routine that I have been doing for years, I don't drive a manual, I have automatic windows so really, my big toe and my brain are doing all the work.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    That sounds crazy!!!!!!! I have seen where some people put down calories burned for cooking and preparing a meal, lol

I have a few times. However, I have an immediate family of 24 that comes over for cookouts often. Preparing a meal for that many people is a workout. I like to do it about once every few months though. I wouldn't trade them for anything! :heart: