sugar

Options
Why does everyone go on and on about sugar, dont you know that when you exercise your muscles use sugar to fuel the exercise.Yes if your eating loads of refined, but for gods sake if its natural, you shoudlnt be avoiding it.

Replies

• jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Some randomish thoguhts... If you are a diabetic, sugar matters! For females you should have 45-60 grams of carbs per meal (which includes sugar) and 15-30 grams per snack. Three meals and two snacks a day. So, I'd prefer to keep my carbs (including sugars) down so I can enjoy more and my blood sugar doesn't go haywire. Also, sugar frequently contributes to "empty calories." If I cut back on sugar, I can eat more volume. For example, a nectarine is about 80 calories and somewhat filling compared to the boat load of calories and sugar in a glass of juice which does nothing to make me feel satiated. It si especially annoying when the manufacturers feel the need to add sugar to all kinds of stuff. I mean, seriously, does polish sausage/kielbasa really need high fructose corn syrup added to make it better? It's meat for goodness sake, why the heck would it need sugar added?
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yeah you have a point about companies adding sugar when there is no reason for it.I defo wouldnt avoid sugars in fruit and veg though, sweets and cakes yes, but not natural foods.
  • jillbeanschoop
    Options
    Yeah you have a point about companies adding sugar when there is no reason for it.I defo wouldnt avoid sugars in fruit and veg though, sweets and cakes yes, but not natural foods.
    Totally agree, although I still have to keep the total grams per meal in balance.
  • temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah seeing my sugar intake everyday on MFP kind of bugs me, because I ALWAYS go over. But it's not because of sweets so much (though I do have a sweet tooth), it's because of day-to-day foods that have some natural sugar in them. I eat a fuji apple and it's half of my daily allowable sugar intake according to MFP. It adds up quickly and it makes me feel like I'm being so unhealthy and giving myself type-2 diabetes even though I feel like I'm eating pretty healthily. Is there such a thing as too much natural (not refined) sugar? I'm sure there is, but how much is too much??
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Too much of everything is bad for you, I watched a tv program and this woman ate proper food all the time, meat and veg, fruits too, nuts etc, she was very over weight, she ate too much of a good thing.
  • Nesira
    Nesira Posts: 2
    Options
    I want to reduce my sugar intake - its difficult. :ohwell:
  • jillbeanschoop
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry specifically about sugar. I would track total carbs. Sugar is a subset of carbs. All carbs turn into sugar in your body. Also, if you consume more than 5 grams of fiber you can subtract 1/2 of those grams from your total carbs. That's what they teach you in diabetic classes. Also, if you worry about diabetes at all - exercise! Not to lose weight necessarily but just to get moving. Just walk around the block a few times, anything to move. Moving helps your cells take on insulin better rather than developing diabetes. You can help ward off diabetes just by moving regularly even if you don't lose a pound! Very important concept to understand if you want to keep diabetes at bay.