THE DREADED PASTA

Options
2»

Replies

• BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel you on this. Pasta is crap food (so is pasta sauce). I'm not sure if I really understand your question, but if you're looking for easy to make things to substitute for pasta during your dinner you might want to make a sweet potato or regular potato. You can cut them into cubes and boil for 15 min, but if you're lazy like me you will just poke a bunch of holes in it with a fork and microwave it for 2 minutes.

good idea
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I know quite a few people who really like spaghetti squash. There are also tofu noodles and kelp noodles. I've never tried kelp noodles, but tofu noodles take a little getting used to.

ive had tofu but have never made it im going to give it a try
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You could also try quinoa pasta...a little pricey but yummy and healthy. I also vote for spaghetti squash!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    If you're interested in reducing pasta consumption but not eliminating them you can try doing pasta-bakes.

I would steam and then roughly dice veggies like carrots, peppers, onion, brocolli, cauliflower, etc. You'll want about 6 cups for a 4 person serving.

Cook to al denta some smallish pasta (I like shells or macaronis) and measure out one or two cooked cups. If you're making this for pickier people, go with 2 cups, if it's just for yourself, go lower.

Mix the pasta and the veggies in a casserole dish with some low-cal tomato sauce. Add some fresh herbs if you want. Sprinkle some cheese overtop if you want.

Bake until the cheese and sauce are hot. 350 for 10-15 mins usually does it.

Now you have "pasta" that is only actually 1/3 pasta and is 2/3 veggies! I usually dish up a big bowl (2 cups worth) and if I were to track it it'd be 1.3-1.5 cups veggies, steamed and then 0.7-0.5 cups of pasta + the sauce and whatever extras.