Feeding little kids in a healthy way? Need help

Options
13»

Replies

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My eldest had really bad eating problems up until a couple of years ago. He would starve himself regularly. He only ate fruit/veg/toast - sounds good but completely lacking in protein and very little carbs. Plus the range of fruit and veg he would eat was maybe 4-5. It was a horrendous time.
    When he was approx 6 years old his sister was born.

Once she started eating meals with us as a family, his eating improved hugely. Seeing other children eating does make a difference. Now (at 7) he'll eat pretty much anything. Don't get put off, keep presenting them with new foods and eventually they will eat them. I tried to make 1/2 plate foods he would eat and 1/2 new stuff or stuff he'd refused.

My daughter doesn't like fruit or veg (with a couple of exceptions), until we found she would eat pretty much anything diced up in a hot chilli sauce and mixed with rice :noway: bizarre but it works. She loves food as hot as we can make it (hotter than I can stand).

Also sticker charts are fun - for how many fruit/veg portions they've had in a day, or a new sticker everytime they try a new food. When they get 10 (or how ever many you decide on) they get a treat - small toy, stay up late, trip out, whatever you want.

And most important thing I have found is eat together as a family as often as you can at a table. Children learn a lot by observing. Model the behaviour you want from them.
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    Wow guys, I am always impressed with this site. Even more so today. Thanks so much for the fantastic information info.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A lot of good advice in here! Bumping it, and hopefully this thread will still be viewable by the time I spit out some little people ;-)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I don't allow the words "ewe" or "that's gross" in my house from anyone. I have twin 4 yr olds who will practically eat most anything. Reagan has tried asparagus many times and she just doesn't like it so I won't make her eat that but 90% of the time they will eat what I give them. Yesterday they were snacking on fresh veggies and hummus with their daddy before dinner. They love sushi (raw and rolls) and really most all veggies including cabbage, broccoli, carrots, edamame........ect. The rule in my house is that you have to try it. If you truely and honestly don't like it, you don't have to eat it but you do have to try it. Most of the time they like it and finish it before they have realized it. Just keep trying new recipes incorporating the healthy foods and they will come around. You can always reward them by allowing one not so healthy item that they love once or twice a week for doing so well on eating healthy the rest of the days.
    Mine are ages 8 thru 17 - and yes, sometimes I have to get tough, When they leave home as adults, then they're free to make choices. Until then, I decide - end of story!
  • guapogringo
    guapogringo Posts: 201
    Options
    My eldest had really bad eating problems up until a couple of years ago. He would starve himself regularly. He only ate fruit/veg/toast - sounds good but completely lacking in protein and very little carbs. Plus the range of fruit and veg he would eat was maybe 4-5. It was a horrendous time.
    When he was approx 6 years old his sister was born.

Once she started eating meals with us as a family, his eating improved hugely. Seeing other children eating does make a difference. Now (at 7) he'll eat pretty much anything. Don't get put off, keep presenting them with new foods and eventually they will eat them. I tried to make 1/2 plate foods he would eat and 1/2 new stuff or stuff he'd refused.

My daughter doesn't like fruit or veg (with a couple of exceptions), until we found she would eat pretty much anything diced up in a hot chilli sauce and mixed with rice :noway: bizarre but it works. She loves food as hot as we can make it (hotter than I can stand).

Also sticker charts are fun - for how many fruit/veg portions they've had in a day, or a new sticker everytime they try a new food. When they get 10 (or how ever many you decide on) they get a treat - small toy, stay up late, trip out, whatever you want.

And most important thing I have found is eat together as a family as often as you can at a table. Children learn a lot by observing. Model the behaviour you want from them.

As long as you dont feed them armadillo