1000mg equals 1g of sodium !

Options
Can people (especially UK people) please take note when they enter a new food on the database. Am I the only one who gets annoyed by having to correct sodium levels all the time?

Replies

• littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1000mg = 1g. But sodium in food isn't measured in grams. So I'm failing to see your point?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tesco web site uses grams :-

Sodium 0.5g -
    Salt equivalent 1.2g
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, sodim and salt aren't exactly the same thing. Recommended daily limit is 1500mg sodium, but that's about 6g salt.
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    No, you're not the only one. I frequently change sodium levels to what they're supposed to be. for example 0.2g is 200mg. Not 2000 or 20 or 2!

And sodium levels are given as mg/g on food labels, so yes here it is measured in that way. Why else would the database give it in mg also?
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm the UK and I'm always changing the sodium levels in the database. If someone can't do the math, there's always google which can find a good converter!
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    They do the salt to sodium conversion right (some of the time) then forget where the decimal place goes! I really worry about the standard of maths in the UK
  • jess3012
    jess3012 Posts: 47
    Options
    I was guilty of this until about a month ago, i didn't realise mfp is in mg, most of the food products i buy have the sodium in grams. so i just copied exactly what it said on the packaging!
    I think its a honest mistake with some people!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    OMG! I thought I was the only person who noticed this, it seems like I have to change the sodium levels on nearly everything I eat!! :flowerforyou: