slow runners

Options
I would appreciate encouragement from others who are starting out as slowly as I am and trying to get to a 5k. I am 48 years old and just started running again after about 15 tears away! I did the c25k program and I can now run for 35 minutes, which is great because I could barely run for 5 minutes when I started. But I am running 15 minute plus miles! Which means I'm running about two miles. I get discouraged when I hear others here who are starting out too talking about 12 minute miles and running 3 miles in 45 minutes. That is sooo far away for me. To actually run a 5k right now, I'd have to run for an hour. So I've got a long ways to go. My sweetie is running a minimarathon in Nov. and I'd really like to be able to do my 5k (and do it in under an hour!)

So long story short, I'd love to hear from others who were or are in the same boat. And if you have thoughts on the best way to keep moving forward I appreciate that too. I hope that when I get more of this 30 pounds I am striving to lose off that it will get easier. Thanks all! -K

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You can find a lot of us on this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/637172-slow-runners

When I finished C25K, I couldn't run an entire 5K either. But it only took a couple weeks later for me to be able to. You can do it too! I just started 10K training now, with the intent of improving my 5K time. I did sign up for a 10K in November though. I should be able to do it by then LOL.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply and the link! That's what I needed to hear!
  • danacr73
    danacr73 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am a slow runner also. In fact, when I go out jogging with my husband, he can walk at my running pace. However, my focus is on beating my own time. If it takes an hour to run a 5K this time then next time I want to be under an hour. I also do better when I listen to music and/or use a mantra. Another thing that helps me is singing kids songs like Jesus loves me, repeating the verse "I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me." I try to focus on distance more than time. Hope it helps.
    One last thing - when I start to get frustrated about others running faster than me, I am reminded of Dori from Finding Nemo: Just keep running, just keep running.
  • bainbt87
    bainbt87 Posts: 1
    Options
    dont get beaten up by it, given time you will be saying the same as them and some1 else will be in your shoes. i have just started jogging and do 2 miles every other day, im woking on further but not pushing my luck :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I could barely make it around the block. I persisted and, gradually, my endurance got better and better.

In 2009 (at 53) ran my first 5K, my goal time was to finish in under 40 minutes (based on your current speed you'd be closer to 45 minutes than an hour) and just squeaked under the wire. A year later I ran the same race in 26:46 and have since gone on to 10Ks and, last month, ran my third half-marathon.

I'm not fast and I don't expect a call from the Olympic committee any time soon. With consistent training and striving for continual (gradual) improvement you can achieve your goals. There will good training days and bad but the key is to make it a habit and maintain a positive mental attitude. Even if you're on the slow side the feeling you get crossing that finish line is indescribable.
  • profgal43
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and inspiration! I'm not going to give up, but it helps to have others to cheer each other on.
  • boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    To increase your endurence you run farther; to increase your speed you must run faster. Just don't try to do both on the same day. Speedwork gets your body used to how it feels to run at a given pace. Good luck!:wink:
  • Less0Beth
    Less0Beth Posts: 16
    Options
    Let me ask you this....which is better, doing a 15 or 16 minute mile and being healthy OR not even attempting to get up and move your sorry behind because you figure you are just to blame slow? Me, I will take the first one. I am 54 years young. In 2011 I did my first EVER half-marathon walking a 15 minute mile. Was I slow, you betcha. Did I finish....ABSOLUTELY. And you know something else amazing.....I have over 1100 people still behind me when I crossed that finish line. I did the same half-marathon again in 2012. With medical issues, I still managed to finish with a 16 minute mile pace. Again, I FINISHED, and still had people behind me. As far as I am concerned....anything ahead of the bus that kicks you off the course for being too slow is better than sitting on the couch getting fat. So, start where you are at, give it a good solid kick up as much as you can, and keep on going. Slow runners are still runners in my book
  • profgal43
    Options
    Thank you both and Beth that was beautiful :)
  • KathyMarie1970
    KathyMarie1970 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I run slow too - a little over 15 minute mile. I ran my first 5K in May in 48:18. I was just happy I made it in the hour time limit! I have my second 5K on July 4th and I just hope to improve a little. I've only been running for 4 months so I figure I'm doing good. Speed will come. I just try to keep going.
  • melneh
    melneh Posts: 25
    Options
    i hear you on this one!! one of the things that helped me a great deal was using the jeff galloway method. He uses a ratio method that helps with speed and enurance.

I know that he has a few podcasts that are free on itunes in association with MotionTraxx (love this by the way) and has a million books on amazon. if you have a kindle, you can get a few of them for 2 bucks on amazon.com.

When I run I listen to music. I started out with a really slow jog accompanied with music at around a 140 bpm. For me, the music was my metranome. Keep my pace up and regulated my breathing.

I am not a marathon runner, more like a run around my block and if I am really feeling spicy, put on my hot pants and run on a treadmill :P but these are what worked for me.

Hope some of this helped! but I strongly suggest you check out jeffgalloway.com for some good advice and some good readingsQ
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You have to have patience. It doesn't come easily or quickly for everyone. I could barely run a 15 min mile when I started a year ago. After eating right, running, working, and trying to run better, I reached one of my running goals, a 5k under 24min. I am not as fast as some but I don't expect to be. You are doing fine. You will get better because you want to.
  • cjh03
    cjh03 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is that you stick with it. When I ran a lot at the end of last year, I was down to ~10.5 min miles and getting 5k's done at around the 33min mark. I have been out of serious running like that for 6+ months and I just attempted it again yesterday. I managed 3.75mi in 45 mins which puts me at ~12 min miles. So as you can see, with dedication those numbers will go down. I want to get back to where I was then while also surpassing those numbers when I get there. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • profgal43
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and good advice, all!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner too! My normal mile is 15 minutes. I get a great workout and I love it. Nothing wrong with that. I have little legs.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    I'm a slow runner too (approx. 14min/mile) - in fact, I'm so slow that, when I try to log my runs on MFP, the speed at which I run is actually listed as a brisk walk! BUT ... slow running is better than walking, and both are better than doing nothing. Keep up the good work. You may get faster as you do more running ... but if you don't, it doesn't matter!

I also agree with the post that running music makes all the difference. If you have headphones on, it's physically impossible NOT to run to the beat of whatever you're listening to. You may not be able to do more than one song at this fast speed, or even a whole song, but, again, who cares? As long as you're doing something, that's the most important thing!
  • profgal43
    Options
    Yes I ended up just making my own category for my 5k training run/walks. I feel better now. I'm happy to be a runner... and nothing helps me lose weight quicker which is my bottom line goal, to lose it and keep it off.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway is amazing! I did a half marathon in 2:45 and only ran 30 seconds at a time! It made a big difference in my run time. Also workouts like INSANITY really helped too. Don't forget the strength training when you are training!