Salmon! (Help)

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Salmon, Bluurk, I really don't like the stuff much, but I know its good for you, and its cheap where I live, and my kids love it, I buy boneless fillets, and would love some recipes or ideas that I can try to make it more enjoyable...These days I just either marinate it with some teryiaki sauce, or just add a little S&P and bake it...I need some ideas to make it less salmony please!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I made this this weekend. My husband said it was the best fish he'd ever had period.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/honey-ginger-grilled-salmon-2/
  • Stephie_lee
    Options
    One of my favorites: Boneless, skinless salmon fillet, cover with dijon mustard all over, sprinkle chives, then you wrap 2 slices of smoked prociutto around it and bake it. it gets nice and crispy on the outside, I'm not a big fish lover but I do like this one.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bake it with lemon and dill
    or slather it with mustard and brown sugar and bake

or, really, if you don't like it, then don't eat it.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    I make a cucumber dill sauce to go along with mine. I find that it masks the "fishy" taste salmon can sometimes have, but complements the good flavors really well.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Look up a recipe for a salmon fish pie, that would work.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    honestly, you are not getting quality salmon. Good salmon is almost like chicken -- except better....maybe shop around a little more, or just get some capsules to get the nutrition that way.
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try grilling it on a plank--my husband does this, and it's my all-time favorite meal. AllRecipes.com has tips for this, plus lots of great recipes. http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Plank-Grilling/Detail.aspx
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    We sprinkle cumin on it, and then bake it with sweet chili sauce on top. Broil for the last few minutes to get it all bubbly and glazy.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, pressed Garlic cloves, thyme, tomatoes...bake it with cheese on top.
    BAM!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup soy sauce, garlic clove and 1/2 cup italian dressing. marinate for the day then bake or grill. soooo good!!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I will try some of these, I also know that anything with a bit of citrus in tends to kill some of the oiliness (which is what I find a bit off putting, the smell of the oils when it cooks)
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Simple is good for me
    And I LOVE Salmon!

I've made it on the grill before stuffed with homemade salsa which was pretty tasty...

Light on garlic salt, pepper and Lemon...simple yet good...

I have a recipe somewhere with a crab cream cheese stuffing, this is of no obvious help, but I'm sure a google recipe search will be promising

And my new found addiction... Cover it with some light pesto sauce a bit of parmesean cheese and tomatoes and bake it in the over, I'f a huge pesto fan and it tastes great!
  • morriusmfp
    morriusmfp Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Rub each side with a little butter and cajun spice mix. Then cook the fillet in a hot pan for 5 minutes on each side (it should 'blacken' i.e. go crispy). Use a spoon to drizzle the runny liquid in the pan over the salmon to keep it moist.

I normally serve this with green salad and new potatoes.
  • lilbuddy01
    lilbuddy01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this honey mustard salmon recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/honey-mustard-glazed-salmon-fillets-recipe/index.html

Also, are you eating the darker brownish/grayish meat close to the skin? That tends to have a stronger "fishy" flavor, so I only eat the orange part.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I love this honey mustard salmon recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/honey-mustard-glazed-salmon-fillets-recipe/index.html

Also, are you eating the darker brownish/grayish meat close to the skin? That tends to have a stronger "fishy" flavor, so I only eat the orange part.

What she said!! gently scrape off the dark part.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We made this the other night:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Salmon-with-Creamy-Dill-Sauce

The 1/4 cp. of butter's not that much considering a 2 lb. fillet is a little over five 6 oz. servings but we cut it in half and used light sour cream.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. There are plenty of other healthy foods to replace it with.