Treadmill Vs. Heart Rate Monitor (Calories Burned)

Options
I finally bought me a fancy schmancy heart rate monitor. Polar FT4 :) I used it today on my afternoon run and was astounded how the treadmill picked up my monitor! I had no idea it could do that!

So I had my treadmill and monitor keeping track of my heart rate (and they were on par for my rate the entire time). I finish my run and the treadmill says 290 cals burned. However, my monitor said 360 cals burned? That's a pretty big difference and I have no idea which one to go by =/

Replies

• MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    What was the incline on the treadmill? Zero? That's a big difference, and honestly it's tough to say which one is accurate because each persons body metabolizes diffrently. Also, did you configure your watch for your age, sex, weight, etc.? That can make a difference.
  • heatherfitz
    heatherfitz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I keep my incline between 3 and 5 depending on my speed (up to 8 or so if I'm walking). And my monitor has been programmed with my stats. So would that be the more accurate response? I just want to make sure I'm assigning calories appropriately :)
  • MSRunner23
    MSRunner23 Posts: 107
    Options
    I would think the medium with the most user specific input, whether it be the treadmill or HRM watch, would be the most accrurate.
  • heatherfitz
    Options
    Thanks!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, my treadmill picks up my HRM too, but doesn't allow me to enter my stats. So that's why my HRM shows a better burn. Go with the HRM.
  • Ashly744
    Ashly744 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor always shows a bigger burn than the treadmill. Give or take, because it really depends on fast I am running, and if I'm at a incline. I only go off my heart rate monitor.
  • heatherfitz
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I like my heart rate monitor's numbers better anyways :D haha