Heart Rate Monitor watches....

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I hope you guys can help.

I hear that a heart rate monitor can give you a more accurate calories burned number plus a lot of other helpful info.
    I was thinking about getting a HRM watch, but there are so many brand names (Gramin, Polar, Suunto, Timex, etc.) and the prices vary as well.

I bike, run and weight train. I'd like to know my heart rate, distance, calories burned, and probably some other info I need to know but can't think of right now. :smile:

Which one will give me the best info I need? What do you guys use??

Look for a model that use a chest strap. These are more accurate than the wrist only models. Polar (brand I have) has a chest strap (transmitter) and a watch. I love it.

Chest straps use your continuous heart rate, as opposed to wrist only models that measure your pulse ... from time to time.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Look for a model that use a chest strap. These are more accurate than the wrist only models. Polar (brand I have) has a chest strap (transmitter) and a watch. I love it.

Chest straps use your continuous heart rate, as opposed to wrist only models that measure your pulse ... from time to time.

Thank you! I was wondering what the difference was between the watches and chest straps...I think I also saw someone once with a band around their upper arm...?
  • Acko82
    Acko82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Garmin GPS every time. Expensive but gives a breakdown of distance run, time spent, calories etc and works out all your averages. Then automatically downloads onto the garmin website and maps all your runs, shows you graphs of your performance as well. Also links in with Tanita electronic scales which measure body fat, muscle mass, bone density, water content and transfers the data to the watch. Puts all that on graphs and allows you to monitor literally everything.
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ohh I too have been trying to decide between them. Thanks for all the info everyone! :smile:
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I would like to see more answers so I´m bumping this threat :)
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Polar FT40 for about two years now, and it's the best tool to have for your workout! It's with the chest strap, so I get an accurate read on my HR throughout my workouts. I've used mine mainly for training at the gym, and I figure for running (once I feel ready to run in public) I'll get an app for my smartphone to get distance and such.

One of my friends have the FT60, and she loves that one as well. I think the main difference between those two is that hers give more a weekly summary/program, while mine does not.

When it comes to what to get, I have only experience with Polar, which I highly recommend. To find the right watch, google their site and look through the different ones. And see if they have one that suits what you are looking.