any ideas instead of lunges??

Options
2»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Work on other things to strengthen your hip - look for hip strengthening exercises - hip raises, hip lowers, leg drop on stairs, donkey kicks with ankle weights, monster walks with bands on your feet, seated with a band on your knees, there are a lot of options. Once your hips get some strength to them, lunches shouldn't hurt - Also - Try to not go so deep in lunges that they hurt your knees, do them with less drop to not cause pain, little by little, you will strengthen and the pain will go away as you can lunge deeper.

Are your lunges painful front and back lunges both or just one direction - switch to side our curtsey lunges or only front or only back until you develop some hip strength.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    You might be extending to far forward on your lunge if your knee is hurting.

This has been my experience. The more improper my form, the more problems I have. This also applies to squats.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    DO NOT use the leg curl machine if your knees hurt.
  • Beana21
    Beana21 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There's a section of my workout program (Power 90) where they do a lot of walking lunges at two different points. I'm pretty overweight still and I don't like to put too much weight on a single knee, plus I had a bad knee injury about six months ago and I only got feeling back in it fairly recently. When it comes to the lunges section I just do three variations of squats. Yeah I'm probably not getting the same workout but it's something and I'm noticing a difference in my thighs.