My body was perfect before I had a baby.

Before I got pregnant I was 120 lbs. I am 5'10" so i was a size zero forever.I worked at Hooters and was doing alot of modeling on the side. I got pregnant and almost got up to 200 lbs. I had a baby girl that was 9lbs 12oz. My stomach was ALWAYS flat. Now I am wearing my husbands clothes because nothing of mine fits (not even shirts, or shoes) My stomach is so stretched out the skin is just saggy and stretch marks everywhere. I just want to know how long it takes for your body to recover after having a baby? Is there any hope for me to get into at least a size 5? I NEED HELP

Replies

• SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    I dont knwo personally but from this site Ive seen some AMAZNG tranformations, especially from new moms... youll get it back for sure!! You just need to really work for it!
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    i hate to say it, but your body will never be exactly the same as before, but yes, their is a lot of room and hope for improvement. a size 5 is more than attainable! stay positive, drink plenty of fluids, take things slow, and enjoy the new life you brought into the world!
  • jgrodzicki
    jgrodzicki Posts: 83
    How old is your baby? It definitely takes time... mine is 9 months old, and it probably would have happened quicker for me had I had the time/energy/lack of excuses... but I'm back on the bandwagon finally (have been for about a month or two) and starting to see results. I've got about 15 lbs. to lose!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    i hate to say it, but your body will never be exactly the same as before.

Wrong!

I had a baby at 20. I look better now than I did before having my daughter. There is hope!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    you can lose a lot of that baby weight. It will take a lot of hard work and dedication though.

i dont think you'll ever be as naturally tiny as you were before though. having a baby changes your body in a lot of ways.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    Of course there is hope. You are young which is in your favor. Everyone is different so it is hard to say how long it will take. But if you just work hard at it you will lose it and be tone again. It just takes hard work and determination, oh and time. Just be patient with yourself.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Your body won't necessarily ever be the same. However, that doesn't mean it can't change or even be better.
    If you focus on eating healthy and continue to work out you WILL see the results.

Don't worry so much about the size of your pants, just worry about losing inches and getting back to being your healthiest. Set smaller goals at first.

Focus on building core muscles, do a lot of cardio, and include strength training into your routine.

You WILL do this. :):)
  • andthenwhat
    andthenwhat Posts: 69 Member
    well... there are a lot of variables... First of all, how many months are you post-partum? I know you don't want to hear this, but it took some time to come on so it's gonna take some time to come off. Secondly, what does your diet look like? Are you eating really processed meals like Lean Cuisine, fast food, ramen, canned soup? How often do you eat? What does your physical activity schedule look like? Like I said, there are many many variables. But not all is lost I promise. You can get there.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    I'm in a size 6 after a 9 lb 1 oz little boy. And i was at about 220 when i gave birth to him. It just takes a lot of hard work. As for stretch marks, sorry those will stay. You should embrace them. It shows you were healthy enough and lucky enough to house a new life inside your belly. Some people never get that joy and would kill for some stretch marks. Work out a lot. I do circuit training which helps a lot and really helps with the core area. I was able to wear a bikini a week ago at the beach. There is definitely hope for you. Promise.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    It's all hereditary. Usually from whatever side you take after. I look like my dad and my stomach has stretchmarks and changed shape just like my dad's sister's did. Even with my body fat lower than before my pregnancies my stomach will never look the same unless I get a tummy tuck.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    After the first baby is always easier to get right back to where you were... just work hard at it...
  • My tummy got WAY stretched out too, and I didn't even gain that much with my pregnancy (thanks, genetics). It bummed me out for a long time and I didn't think there was much I could do about it.

Well, about a year and a half ago I decided I would give it my best effort - I thought, why not - and I have seen a HUGE improvement. Like everyone else says, take it slow (there is no fast miracle cure when it comes to being fit), stay hydrated, eat well, be active!

BTW, I'm not sure how old your baby is, but my stomach probably took a year or so to kind of 'settle'....and then it took another 5 years before I decided to really work on it :)
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    It takes a little time. Figure that it takes 9 months for your body to accommodate a baby so it will take time to change back. I have had 4 children and I am the same size I was when I was 20, as a first time mom (and 3 of those babies were triplets so you know there was some serious stretching and bone-breaking going on there). In fact, I am in better shape now than I was when I was 20. You can do it!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member

We have a new slogan for condoms right here!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    i hate to say it, but your body will never be exactly the same as before.

Wrong!

I had a baby at 20. I look better now than I did before having my daughter. There is hope!

I agree. I have plenty of friends IRL who look the same (if not better) than they did before having babies. I think the key thing is that prior to having kids, a lot of us (myself included) might have been teeny tiny size 0s or whatever, but not necessarily in great shape. I was skinny fat when I was in college, but since I stayed in the size 0-4 range, I was happy with my body. Now that I'm getting back in shape, I might not get back to a size 0, but I'm sure as hell gonna look way better than I did then because I'm eating healthy and working out---treating my body right.

The stretch marks won't disappear, and you might have some loose skin, but work hard and focus on your health, and you can get there. Some women bounce back really quickly, like a few months (like my best friend who didn't get so much as a stretch mark and was back into her pre-pregnancy size 2s by the time her daughter was 6 months old...ugh) or me, who after 5 years, I'm still a work in progress---that's my fault though. The sooner you start, the sooner you'll be where you want to be!

ETA: check out some of the success stories, there are some pretty freaking amazing mamas in here. I can't remember her name, and I'm sure some of you will know who I'm talking about, but there's a woman on here who has like 5 or 6 kids and she has ROCKIN abs (I want to say she's in her late 30s or maybe 40s?). Having babies doesn't mean your body is ruined :smile:
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    I think with the right food and exercise you will get there. You have age on your side. Much much easier to do it when you are younger. I am 37 yrs., 5"2' and was pushing 160 lbs. while pregnant. I was around 120 lbs. before I was pregnant. I am now around 110 lbs. My daughter is 4ys. old and I didn't start working hard at weight loss until Jan. of this year. I right now am in the best shape of my life. Keeping on this site was a great help to me. Tons of great people to learn from and get motivation. I had to get in the mind set of doing this for me and being the best I could be for my daughter.
    Good luck
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member

We have a new slogan for condoms right here!

TRUE STORY.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    You're young and it appears that your baby is also very young. You need to give your body time to heal after that.

I know this sounds like a silly question but are you breastfeeding? It helps you lose weight faster and return to normal sooner.

Also, I've seen some bodies go back to being quite amazing after having a baby but it took some work and a positive attitude.

Don't dwell on how much having a baby has changed your body but on how amazing it is that your body supported the growth of a healthy baby for 9 months. Focus on the amazing feat it performed while you were pregnant and how resilient it is because it will transform back with work. Think about how it allows you to care for her. You cannot hate the body that allowed you to bring someone that you love so much into this world. That's what kept and still keeps me going now...
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    I know how you feel. After my first child was born, I cried when I saw how saggy and stretchy my tummy was. I too was 121 for many years until having children. I cried because I knew that I was too lazy to make the effort to exercise and make it the way it was. Finally the joy of having my child distracted me. You can still look wonderful but you need to make an effort to become the same weight before pregnancy. You do not have to crash diet, but you will need to be very diligent and plan to be on here with us. You may always be on her with us, even once you reach 120. Are you ready? I think you are. You might still have a few stretch marks, but you can look fabulous. Take your baby for walks in the stroller. Eat healthy and set a reasonable calorie goal for your age! It will be fine. Are you nursing? That will help too.

Hugs
    Ruth