Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

water fasting

I am looking into doing anywhere from a 3-14 day water fast. Has anybody tried this?
I have heard many good things about this, and I have done a lot of research.

I just want to know about success with the water fast from the good ole' people of myfitnesspal:)

Replies

• dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    What's a water fast?
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Just to avoid confusion. A water fast is where you only consume water not where you don't drink any water.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Like ONLY water. No food?
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    1) Good luck with 14 days of a water fast. Sheesh.
    2) I've done a 3 day water fast for religious reasons. It can be done. I don't recommend it.
    3) If you are intending to do this to lose weight, don't bother, you will not get the results you want.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Urg that sounds vile I must say! Have a cup of tea!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Oh and a 14 day water fast? You'll either cave in and have a massive binge then feel bad...or die. AWESOME!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i like fasting. it's a great way to kick start weight loss if you're stalling.

i do it when i'm in ketosis, i don't have an appetite anyway, so it works.
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    be cautious you can drink to much water and become hyponatremic
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    I like the idea of drinking lots of water, but don't do it w/o food
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    1) Good luck with 14 days of a water fast. Sheesh.
    2) I've done a 3 day water fast for religious reasons. It can be done. I don't recommend it.
    3) If you are intending to do this to lose weight, don't bother, you will not get the results you want.

I agree. Being a compulsive dieter, I have starved myself on many a "diet" -- only to have to come back as soon as I eat 1 crumb of something.

Plus, you will get severe headaches, painful hunger pains and will have NO energy whatsoever. So not worth it.

At the recommendation of my dr., I even tried a liver detox program - nothing but these shakes for 2 weeks. I made it until about day 3 and couldn't take it anymore. Never felt so bad in my entire life. And of course as soon as I stopped and started eating HEALTHY, I gained what I lost plus a few extra. It screws with your metabolism too.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    I am looking into doing anywhere from a 3-14 day water fast. Has anybody tried this?
    I have heard many good things about this, and I have done a lot of research.

I just want to know about success with the water fast from the good ole' people of myfitnesspal:)

No.
  • lauleipop
    Also, I see that you're interested in starting 30DS.

30DS (or any cardio) + water fast = NO MA'AM
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Have fun with that...I prefer to fuel my body instead of starve it.
  • marykay_and_ashley
    marykay_and_ashley Posts: 26 Member
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/forum19/8932.html

have any of you done any research on it?
  • lauleipop

Yes, I have, because I've done a water fast. Did you read the first post? The part where 3 weeks after the 10 day water fast he's only eating 1,000 calories a day? That, right there? That's why he's not gaining weight after stopping the fast. He's operating on a severe calorie deficit.

If what you're looking for is validation to justify a water fast, there are many forums which will yield that validation. The likelihood of getting here is minimal.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    http://www.caloriesperhour.com/forums/forum19/8932.html

I don't know who CrimsonAnimus is but I can guarantee you he's not very smart.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    So basically you're going on a hunger strike? Maybe you can pin a cause to it....it might make more since then.
  • getsixpack
    getsixpack Posts: 49
    Did two 7 day water fasts and lost 14 lbs the first time, 12 lbs the second - and gained more than what I lose within two weeks. Don't do it.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Yep, you'll just gain it right back. If you are doing it for a different reason please clarify. Water is SOOOO AWESOME but you need to eat food too.
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    One of the most stupid things I have ever done was a 2 week fast with medical supervision.i had no food and no water either... In stead I had lots of acupuncture ... I felt really crazy, really scared and like everyone else said put all the weight on quickly after I finished.
    Looking back I can see how I took a huge gamble with my health, I therefore cannot judge anyone for being interested in any crazy weight loose method, but seriously there is nothing to be gained other than a few extra pounds in the long run.