Calories burned doing Insanity

Options
I am going to start the Insanity program on Monday. I don't have an HRM, but was curious if anyone had an estimate of what you would burn doing the program. I know it won't be an exact for me - but I thought maybe some people have HRM's that might give me an idea. I am Female - 5'2 and currently weigh 160.

Replies

• holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have posted this EXACT thing!! I am on day 23 of Insanity Asylum and LOVE IT!! If you want the MOST accurate burn...here you go:

each time that you are alloted a 'water break' immediately stare at the clock and take your heart rate for ten seconds (I can only find it in my neck, but some have better luck on the wrist....) do this AT LEAST 3-4 times. Take your numbers and get the average. Times it by 6- now you have your heart rate in beats per minute. At this point you can go online and find calculators that allow you to enter your HR and the durration of the workout and it will tell you aprox what you burned. I don't trust ANY of these becuase I find they are all different, so I found the formula to do it yourself! This looks intimidating, but even my non-math efficient brain was able to figure it out!!!

[(-20.4022 + (.4472 x heart rate in beats per minute) + (.1263 x weight in kilograms) + (.074 x age)] / 4.184.

Now just work it out!! My endurance is getting better, so I have begun to burn less cals, but I have maxed at about 400 on my 'game day' workout, and depending on which one I do now I hit between 200-350 in each 40-50 min workout!! The get your weight in KG just divide pounds by 2.2

Any questions just message me :) have fun!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That helps. I will figure it out. I was going to by an HRM but decided to just estimate and go with the TDEE and cut and I just wanted to make sure that I was eating enough calories. I can't wait - I'm excited to start!
  • holly3585
    Options
    You will do great! It is super doper crazy! The 1st time I started a video…it played from start to end, but I think I only was able to actually do about 50% of the workout…and probably not in very good form at that! I proceeded to not do another for about a month, but eventually decided I was ready to jump in head 1st- and have done it every day without missing!! Now I can get 100% through each one AND I have even started completing a few of the ‘for a little extra work focus on…..’ LOL

Just remember it really is the hardest series out there right now, so just do as much as you can and don’t give up. I guarantee you will be soooo impressed with yourself after a few weeks. It is amazing the improvements just in stamina and strength that Insanity forces your body into
  • holly3585
    Options
    Ohhh by the way...spoyt on going with the TDEE!!!! I think that is the BEST way to go! It sounds like you have done your research and you will do great!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It is so nice to have such great support on here. I am determined that I am going to get in shape - somehow - lol. I am so excited to start the program, and even more since my husband has committed to doing it with me.
  • gymgirljenny
    gymgirljenny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Holly - does that formula give you your calories burned per minute? I got 12.9 - so do I multiply that by the number of minutes I exercised? I just started Insanity today!
  • kelvincornish1
    Options
    Go for it. Today was day 38 for me and I love it. The 2nd month really is a massive step-up and I have managed to go through all 3 workouts I have done so far in month 2. I do have to rest during the latter exercises but then so do the younger and fitter people on the DVDs as well.

As for calories, I just put in the minutes on MFP so it really is just an estimate.