Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Higher HR = Higher calorie burn?

Hi all,

My first thread so please be kind :smile:

I have a basic treadmill which i am trying to get into a routine of using and I have just got myself a Polar FT4 HRM to give me a more accurate calorie reading. So, I'm guessing the higher the heart rate, the more calories I'd burn?

I am trying to get as many calories as I can from my stints on the treadmill. As I say, I'm only just starting out so have not experimented much. Anyway, tonight my daughter was being a pain going to bed and hubby is away so i was really short on time to get my treadmill session in. So, I cranked it up to as fast as I can comfortably walk (with my daughter hanging around and being a pain!) and to try to get the most out of my session I kept 'air punching' for a minute to elevate my heart rate. It worked and I got quite a sweat on! I don't have any incline on my treadmill so there doesn't seem to be much more I can do.

My question is, does anyone else add in arm pumping to their treadmill exercise to make it more aerobic?
Does anyone add in light hand weights to use whilst walking (lifting weights above head, in air punching style)
What else could be done to really get the most out of my treadmill time?

(I've not tried running, I turned my treadmill into a treadmill-desk and I have a solid wall behind it which I'm worried about! Would have to move the whole set up which I can't do at the mo.:ohwell: )

Thanks guys

Replies