In between sizes: Hobo vs. Sausage

Options

Replies

• poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yep... been there; still there! I'm not quite "small" enough for my 14's to totally fall off and need duct taping, but my 12's are a still bit too tight for comfort.

I've had a few friends send me their clothes they no longer wore and that would fit me :)

I force myself to buy a new pair of jeans every 20 pounds as a reward for the weight loss
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options

You are so fun and cute with all your belt links :)

LOL! Thanks! I wasn't sure if my descriptions were all that great, and I've been kind of excited at how well these ideas are working.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I'd say hobo out of comfort. I started at a 28 and I had clothes already 24-28...I wore my 24's until I was an 18 before I bought new clothes...they looked a hot mess and I felt a hot mess, but I couldn't afford it at the time either.
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Taking in clothes is super easy, esspecially stuff like t-shirts. You just create a new seam further into the shirt, no cutting needed. And you don't need to worry about ever needing those hobo clothes again because you are going to be beautiful and skinny for good.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do that too - I tend to belt things to bring the waist back

or tie the edges of shirts to make them a bit smaller

its like slightly fitted hobo...
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hobo.....at least that's where I am! I have saggy butt pants!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    that's me.. i look like a ragamuffin 75% of the time. even now at the gym all of my exercise stuff is too big (ie imagine baggy spandex.. not sexy look right?). and i too am broke and don't to spend $$ on in between sizes. plus i'm not even half way to my goal yet. if i'm going to buy new stuff i'd leas want to wait until i'm a bit past the half mark.

when i go out places where i need to look presentable, i will wear one of my wrap dresses or shirt dresses. wrap dresses are great because you can adjust them so they work great for in between sizes. the a-line dresses forget about it.

the sewing idea is good, i've started taking my bras in myself since i've only really changed in the rib cage and not the cup.

what's also happening is that my shoes are getting bigger. i think i'm a good half size smaller than when i started. that's something i didnt expect to happen because it's not like i had fat feet
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    i took in a couple pairs of jeans and i just wear my baggy *kitten* shirts lol
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am down 34 since joining the site (54) over all. I am in the same boat. I have such a long way to go, I really don't want to drop any money on clothes now. So I have on oversized clothes that are looking bigger ever week.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yep, been there. Thats why I also have a supply of pants with drawstrings.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've had to sew elastic in the back of my pants. Im too small for plus sized clothes, but too big for normal sized clothes :(
  • spendsitwell
    spendsitwell Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There should be a section on here for people to trade clothes. One person gives clothes to someone else and then gets clothes from another. That would be pretty cool since everyone is in different sizes along their weight loss journey.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I just bought some "instant buttons" at the fabric store. they help me move my buttons in an inch or two on my favorite skirts and pants.

I too, go with the belted dresses and tops. Now that I am in my "5 lb weight range" weight that I am comfortable maintaining, (meaning 5 pounds down or up) I will add one new out fit per month.

As part of my new life style, I am trying to keep my main pieces of wardrobe (pants,skirts, blouses, jackets,etc) at 33 pieces. I have been reading articles on line about it and it really helped as I was loosing the weight and thinking through what pieces i really "needed"...
  • kinzytg
    kinzytg Posts: 42
    Options
    Do you have a sewing machine? I've altered some of my clothing to help it fit better, including a bra that I bought recently that is already too big.

I did this a lot, it is hard for some things like suits but really easy for straight skirts. Just put a pleat on both sides of the front of pants to start, and take in shirts under the arms and down the sides. It is not perfect, but it will allow you to makes things 2-3 sizes smaller. Things with elastic waist you can just open a seem, pull out the elastic and sew it so that the elastic is shorter and put it back in. I use safety pints to pre-pin and try them on, so they don;t stick you and they are really stable. A machine is great, but you can hand sew the elastic or the pants pleats.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You all have some awesome ideas!!! I had never thought of the hair band to close a gap on a button waist, which I think will have to be the next step. The real problem is that I don't have that many larger clothes to modify. I hated buying clothes in the larger sizes, so I just made do with a couple of item. Now that I'm riding my bike to work, it's even more problematic, because I can't really wear skirts. I sat down last night and altered the only 2 pairs of pants I could--put some elastic in the back of one pair and sewed an internal casing for a drawstring on the other pair. I'll be trying the hair band option with 2 other pairs that are just slightly too small.

I'm just glad to be among folks who know what it's like.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    Sell your old clothes on Ebay to get money for new ones :)
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you have friends that you could do a swap with? My girilfriends and I do that sometimes.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Do you have friends that you could do a swap with? My girilfriends and I do that sometimes.

I second that =)
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Totally there with ya. Went from squeezing into a 16, to a baggy 12. XL shirt to a medium. I'd rather a little sausage than what I refer to as "diaper pants". I find that dresses and skirts are easier to hide when they are a little big.

I agree with another poster, swap clothes with friends. My cousin gained some weight so I shopped in her closet and snagged a few items that might hold me over for another few pounds.

Good luck... your not alone =)