Replies

• choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • niffer5150
    niffer5150 Posts: 10
    Options
    how i deal with my panic disorder that i've had since i was 14... for years i had one heck of a xanex script but that wasn't untill a few panic attacks landed me in the ER with a resting heart rate of 189, vomiting, and i kept passing out. years later i now have had to learn to deal without meds again. lately, running has been the thing that keeps me calm. freak out coming on? i do what my body is telling me to do, run. i can't say it's what others should do but it's the only thing i can do and for now it works for me.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Try Vipassana, worked wonders for me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vipassanā
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP. I hate it when I get those. Feels like a huge hole in my chest that just keeps getting deeper :/

My therapist taught me some relaxation therapy and meditation.

It really works well. If you want, P.M. me and I'll detail the process. I've learned to keep it to a singular trigger to help me with calming myself.
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been having panic attacks for about 5 years now. Mostly, I try to breathe through them, but the last one, I thought I was going to die. Ativan helps for the ones I can't breathe out of. It happens for no reason, sometimes. Hugs...
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I get anxiety as well. I've been utilizing breathing techniques which do help quite a bit. Or, if possible, I try to take myself out of the situation that caused it.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Since I started going to the gym, I stopped having panic attacks. I'll get the occasional moment of high anxiety, but I know that a good night's sleep will usually reset my body's alarm system. Before I was miserable in a constantly agitated state.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I HATE getting these. I've been getting them for four years, since I started University, and when it gets really bad I can't even bring myself to leave my house to walk my dogs.

As I'm not currently on any medication for this or my depression, I usually just try and breathe through it. If it's safe to, I find a quiet spot to sit down and work on my breathing, almost using meditative techniques to ride through it.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I had trouble for years until two things happened: Zoloft (with Xanax for "emergencies") and cognitive behavior therapy. It helped me tremendously to "reprogram" my mind to deal with the anxiety issues.
  • Daizy426
    Daizy426 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just talking to my son about panic/anxiety attacks tonight. I had them for 6 years. As soon as I left my ex, they stopped. The advise I gave him was to work on organizing himself, his life, his surroundings. I was absolutely out of control of anything when I was married, even what I ate for dinner and always stressed for 12 long years. I could never tolerate meds very well so I spent a lot of time hiding under the bed in those days. After I left I regained control of my life little by little, made my own decisions, and finally found a sense of security and safety. That was almost 20 years ago and I haven't had any since. Still stress out, lol, but I don't lose it anymore. Good luck to you ♥♥
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    *** bump ****

My husband has suffered from Agoraphobia/Panic Discorder/Generalized Anxiety since his childhood. It's been dibilitating.

When it's generalized - you can have a Panic Attack anywhere, and associate it with that location, that activity and start avoiding it. Exposure Therapy helps many, but some - not so much. I'm not a fan of any anti-depressant. Xanax is a big help for my husband.

I agree with the statement - if you haven't had a Panic Attack, you don't understand the severity and difference of being "anxious". It's sad, and difficult to suffer this way. It's always helpful to see that my family isn't alone in this suffering.... Thanks for the post.
  • pam6870
    pam6870 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!!! I've been on and off meds for the past several years. They became really bad during the pregnancy of my last child, four years ago. I was on Prozac my entire pregnancy, but he turned out "normal". =) I got to the point that I wouldn't leave my house, drive, and was always scared something was going to happen to me. I actually went into a state of depression and felt worthless.
    With lots of prayer and focus on taking control of my mind I am 99% better. I say 99% because I still take 12.5 mg of Paxil about 4 days a week. I really would like to wean off of it. I've heard exercise helps.
    Mine come mostly at night. I wake up from dreaming with a rapid heart rate, disoriented,and nausea. I have found that if I drink a cold glass of ice water it shocks my heart back into normal beating. My doctor told me to place an ice pack over my face. It helps trigger the heart into regular beats. It hurts but it works. I also take deep breaths holding 10-15 seconds to trigger a slower heart rate.
    I don't know if this has helped you, but I definitely feel your pain. Panic attacks are horrible and make you feel like you are losing your mind. I pray you will soon be given peace about this situation.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't get panic attacks, but I do have an anxiety disorder. I take Celexa, which has helped immensely. I get though life's bumps so much more easily now. I am still prone to anxiety though during stressful times and here are some ways I cope:
    -No caffeine. No matter how tired I am, it's never worth it if I'm feeling a little on edge
    -Regular exercise
    -Routine. I try to wake up, eat, and go to bed at roughly the same time every day.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to get them all the time... ugh!! Just thinking about them makes me hate the fact that they ever happened!! Anyways my Dr put me on 50mg of Zoloft everyday and I don't get them anymore. I still get anxious from some things, but not to the extent that I did without meds!! Good luck!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I exercise. Really. It works.
  • pinky_pie
    pinky_pie Posts: 127
    Options
    7 years with panic/anxiety. Been Agoraphobic for over a year now - pretty much a shut in except for doctor/therapy appointments. Lost my job. I'm on or have been on every kind of drug you can think of for panic/anxiety. I'm hoping with weight loss, my condition will ease.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i've suffered from anxiety for 2 years now, went on celexa and came off as my dr didn't want me on it that long, 1 1/2 years long enough, the withdrawals were horrible, but now i am getting anxiety again , it hits about early afternoon everyday at work, i have adavan, i take it every day now, only way to control it, it sucks because I don't want to take any more meds. Adavan certainly makes you groggy and not want to work out!!! but I make myself go, i know its just the drug. I would love to be drug and anxiety free someday!!! exercise does help, not a lot but somewhat....i am looking into holistic remedies, anyone try Kava??
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get panic attacks too :(. I'm talking with a therapist too about it and she's pretty helpful.
    Taking GABA daily helped me not be so anxious. Maybe look into that?

I've had a really hard time lately too and am finding that GABA is helping immensely.
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I experience mild "anxiety surges". Not a full blown panic attack but they still feel terrible. But I've noticed that when I eat unprocessed, fresh foods I don't have the anxiety. When I eat processed food I do. I've been wondering if "mood" problems can be a result of a reaction to additives. Sound strange maybe, but that seems to be how it works for me.