cardio question

Options
I know that I'm supposed to alternate strength training days with aerobics.
Now this is my question:
Does it HAVE to be AEROBICS?
Can it count if it raises your heart rate but is not something like step aerobics or an aerobics class?

The reason I ask is because I am so uncoordinated. I find it hard to keep up with aerobics classes or dvds-especially if they're on the dancy side. Same with step aerobics-and I kind of have to watch it with the step aerobics because my clumsy feet will sometimes make me fall if I'm not really careful.

I tend to favor calesthenic type cardio instead--things where your heartrate gets raised and you tone muscles and whatnot without the coordination being an issue. There are a couple of Jillian Michaels ones that I like for that--also a few Gilad ones and a couple of FIRM ones.

I just wonder if the "cardio" is good enough or if it HAS to be aerobics.......

Anyone know?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    In my world cardio is cardio. If it gets your heart rate up into your workout target it is cardio. It can be anything from aerobics to zumba. If you do it right even walking can be a cardio workout. My workouts tend to be riding stationary bike, walking, and eliptical. I throw in an aerobic dvd once-in-awhile to mix it up.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Aerobic exerscie does not mean aerobics per say. aerobic exersices raise your heart rate for an extended peroid of time. Doing the treadmill, eliptical or power walking would all qualify as aerobic. Strenght training such as weight lifting is considered anaerobic.

If you need more information google it and you will get hundereds of exercies/routines.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    Options
    cardio is also a walk, housecleaning, riding a bike, playing with your kids....anything that makes you breath heavier for awhile.
    Jillian's workouts are GREAT...so are any biggest loser ones and they are not called cardio per se, but they get your heart rate up bigtime and make you sweat!! all good

Cindy
  • StacieRoth
    StacieRoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos? They really work well, even if you have 2 left feet! You are just moving to the pace of the music and getting a good workout.

www.walkathome.com
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Cardio is cardio. As long as you're moving your body and sweating hard, you're good. As for aerobics, I do them whether I can keep up with the moves or not- the same thing applies, as long as you're moving. :smile:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Weight lifting can also be used as cardio if you do circuit training or if you take short breaks between sets (about 30 seconds or so). This will get your heart rate up and keep it up. It will also help your body to burn calories long after you stop lifting.
  • santoshrane
    Options
    I agree with FJ. You can focus on interval training. Or make your own circuit that balances upperbody and lower body exercise.

So while you are incinerating fat you are building muscle and getting in shape.

Getting your heart rate to 70% max burns fat, anything low and more is not productive.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I agree with FJ. You can focus on interval training. Or make your own circuit that balances upperbody and lower body exercise.

So while you are incinerating fat you are building muscle and getting in shape.

Getting your heart rate to 70% max burns fat, anything low and more is not productive.

Ahh, this isn't really true, you should be careful with blanket statements like "Getting your heart rate to 70% max burns fat, anything low and more is not productive."

For many people 65% is more than enough, and for certain people, above 70% is even dangerous.

While you burn more total calories at a higher heart rate, you actually burn a lower percentage of fat at the higher range, the only reason you burn more fat when above 70 is because you are burning more total calories. That does NOT mean you don't burn fat calories at a lower heart rate, it only means you won't burn as many.
    For many people who are beginners at exercise, older exercisers who can't punish their bodies anymore, or have a condition that precludes vigorous exercise, low impact moderate intensity exercise is the way to go.

I'm the first one in line to do HIIT training (in fact I THINK I was the first to mention the tabata protocol on this site, and still do it 2 times a week to this day), but it's not for everyone.
  • santoshrane
    Options
    Yes, apologies in adding a statement like that.

You have to know your body type and then chose whats best for you. You have to build it up slowly.

Incase of doubt always consult your doctor...

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR High Intensity - 80-85% MHR
    Total Calories expended per min. 4.86 6.86
    Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43 2.7
    Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146 206
    Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73 82
    Percentage of fat calories burned 50% 39.85%

This is a reference scale, so i chose 70% which is between low and high.