Protein

Options
msgunder
msgunder Posts: 65 Member
I'm afraid I'm eating too much protein. How much is too much? I go over almost every single day. When I snack I have some kind of nut or string cheese. I put Whey protein in my smoothies for the taste. Is there something else I can put in it for a vanilla taste? I use Almond Milk so I don't know if yogurt would be too much.

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eat a heck of a lot or protean or have compromised kidneys, you probably are doing ok. What you've described doesn't sound excessive. How much protean to eat depends on individual needs based on or work outs etc. I try to get 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, this works for me. I know serious weight lifters who eat 1 gram per lb of total body weight. However, there are plenty of experts who way you can get by with much less.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I consume anywhere from 200-300 grams of protein a day. As the previous response stated; unless you have some kind of renal issue; you really cannot consume too much protein. You should ideally (weight lifting or not) center your eating around protein, adding veggies to that, and your fats and carbs as the final addition with whatever is left with your calories.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I used to have around 270g, there's nothing wrong with it.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    MFP sets that macro too low (IMHO). Like other poster said, if you don't have kidney issues or another medical reason to not eat protein then have at it.

I eat eat 100+ each day and that is Doctor recommended.
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is never a bad thing! I try to get in 150 g a day :)
  • msgunder
    msgunder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Is it different for men than women? For my workouts I do mostly cardio each day. 20-30 min on the elliptical. I just started a gym and am a little apprehensive to start lifting weights because it's full of men doing it. I did do a few curls and bench press today. I used to lift weights a lot more at my hometown gym but I had a friend (female) training me. I heard a high protein diet is good for weight lifting. Any truth to that?
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is never a bad thing! I try to get in 150 g a day :)

It's a bad thing if you have kidney disease.

What is your ratio? Did you use MFP default? A Common goal is either 40/40/20 or 40/30/20 or a modification of that.