someone, explain how eating more = weightloss? please

Options

Replies

• ewhirly02
    ewhirly02 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert or anything, but the way I look at it is that it's more about what you're eating than how much. You can eat tons more vegetables and fruit for the same amount of calories or less than if you go out or eat processed empty calories.
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The minimum amount you'll burn in a day is BMR. The actual amount you burn in a day is called TDEE around here (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), which includes exercise AND a whole bunch of other activities like showering, eating, driving, moving around an office, changing diapers, sex, and whatever else you do in a day.

If you eat more than BMR but less than TDEE you will lose weight.

So some of us want to eat closer to our actual TDEE to lose weight (I like a ~400 cal/day deficit, personally) to lose weight slowly and without much effort while preserving lean muscle mass. Others choose to eat closer to BMR... or less.

Many people decide they want to lose weight and are bombarded with messages about eating 1200 calories/day, eating 500 calories plus HCG injections, eating 300 calories plus B vitamin injections or whatever... the truth is, as long as what you eat is somewhat less than what you burn, you'll lose weight.

It doesn't have to be super restrictive. Just tracked accurately.

It all totally confuses me. Maybe that is why I am not doing as well as I want. LOL.

Can you give me your height, weight and age? If you have it, your BF%. I'll find some real numbers for better illustration.

For argument sake... Hugh Jackman Height: 6'1" Weight: 215 lbs Age 45ish...
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    If one doesn't eat enough good fats,proteins, and complex carbs cals the body is going to eat away at the muscle. Muscle=faster metabolism. The body being in survival mode will cling on to any calories it can get when consumed, for example eating little calories all week, then the weekend comes along and eating more calories than usual it is going to pack that on as fat. ( I suck at explaining lol, I tried. )
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert or anything, but the way I look at it is that it's more about what you're eating than how much. You can eat tons more vegetables and fruit for the same amount of calories or less than if you go out or eat processed empty calories.

Broscience.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It is simple the concept of the "sweet spot".

Find the range that you perform best. You lose fat, retain muscle, and aren't a complete @$$wipe to those around you who you love.

Like Sidesteal said, set for a 1 pound loss a week and hit your net goal each day basically.

If you exercise regularly to improve your fitness and retain muscle while trying to drop the fat, track it.
    Those days you will have to eat more to hit your net goal. While to some it is counter-intuitive, it is about recovery and fuel for activity.

No magic bullets and it is not a race, but a lifestyle.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of the comments and I agree with most of those comments. When I lost my weight, I didn't count calories (this was back in the 80s and I had NOOO clue what i was doing lol). I just started exercising and portion control. I didn't go back for 2nds and cut out the soda. Lost my weight at a rate of 1-2 lbs per week and didn't make drastic changes b/c I already knew I wouldn't stick with them. Fast fwd to now...I eat roughly every 3 hrs, whether it's a snack or a meal. I've cleaned up my food choices and have cut out A LOT of processsed foods. The only lowfat or nonfat stuff I eat is dairy products. I've packed on muscle to speed up my metabolism all the time, even when I'm sleeping. The end result is I can eat 2000 calories per day, I'm 39, 136lbs and 5'7" and I can eat 2000 calories per day. Imagine that! And I come from a long line of obesity with slow metabolism...
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    bump for laters
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options
    The minimum amount you'll burn in a day is BMR. The actual amount you burn in a day is called TDEE around here (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), which includes exercise AND a whole bunch of other activities like showering, eating, driving, moving around an office, changing diapers, sex, and whatever else you do in a day.

So some of us want to eat closer to our actual TDEE to lose weight (I like a ~400 cal/day deficit, personally) to lose weight slowly and without much effort while preserving lean muscle mass. Others choose to eat closer to BMR... or less.

Many people decide they want to lose weight and are bombarded with messages about eating 1200 calories/day, eating 500 calories plus HCG injections, eating 300 calories plus B vitamin injections or whatever... the truth is, as long as what you eat is somewhat less than what you burn, you'll lose weight.

Could you help me figure mine? I'm female, age 38, 5'9 and I weigh 250. I want to weigh 170, after an 80 lb loss. Thanks!
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Could you help me figure mine? I'm female, age 38, 5'9 and I weigh 250. I want to weigh 170, after an 80 lb loss. Thanks!

WHat is your weekly exercise like?
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    This is not true- "If you lose it faster you WILL gain it all back because your body has gone into starvation mode and your metabolism is ruined and you lost it all in muscle not fat like we do when we eat over BMR".

It's not an all-or-nothing. Many people who lose quickly maintain fine. Many people who lose slowly gain it all back. We ALL lose a mix of muscle and fat when we lose. Yes, slower losses are better. But it's not black and white. And it doesn't happen at BMR or 1200 calories, it's a continuum.
  • ScottRy76
    ScottRy76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This concept is lost on me, if eating more causes weight loss then shouldn't we all weight 2 pounds and be sticks? Instead it is those that don't eat, that are sticks (no offense, just lack of a better word)... Highly confused...

My father always fights with me on this exact topic, he thinks if he starves himself he'll lose weight faster when in all reality its the other way around. Hard to convince really big people of this simple concept, subconsciously they think they'll get fat if they eat constantly.
  • Cinderellis
    Cinderellis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about this concept in my Turbofire - Power through a plateau. As your body gets into better shape, it will begin to burn more calories. In turn, you may need to increase the calories you eat to maintain your fitness goals and avoid seeing a plateau in your results. In the simplest sense, when your body's out of shape and has more fat and less muscle, your metabolism is slow. As you begin to eat less, you lose fat, since your body converts it into fuel. Add exercise to this equation and now you start building muscle, which also speeds up your fat loss. More muscle requires more calories to maintain. If you don't eat more, your workouts will suffer and so will your results.

As you get more fit and lose weight - your body is going through a plateau and needs more fuel to increase the intensity of your workouts.

Hope this helps - very interesting concept
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

How do you figure out your TDEE?
  • lilah808
    lilah808 Posts: 60
    Options

I am pretty active. I clean houses 5 days a week for 4-5 hours each day for work, and I have been taking moderate paced morning walks 3-5 days a week for 60 minutes each time.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Simple to lose eat between your BMR (what you need when in a COMA) and your TDEE ( total calories burned in a day). So yes you need a deficit but if it is too much you are asking for trouble sooner or later.
  • BrendaJaneK
    Options
    The idea is to always keeping your belly and guts doing something.

When it`s busy digesting, it breaks your food down, sends to good stuff to your cells and takes what it doesn`t need and/or uses up from your food and sends it down the line, so to speak.

When your belly and your guts are always busy like this, your body is not worried about the next meal. It doesn`t know what it`s like to feel `starved` so it`s not afraid of starving.

Your body just works on what it does best.... breaking down food, feeding your cells and eliminating waste.

If you don`t eat enough your body freaks out and gets afraid there won`t be more. So it sends the food to your cells and tells the cells to hang onto it - all of it, `cause there ain`t no more! That`s what starvation mode is.

It`s not because there`s no food... it`s because we sit and eat until we can`t move, stuffing ourselves with all sorts of processed junk food and then don`t eat again for four to six hours, maybe more.

Even someone who is overweight or obese can be in starvation mode!

Our bodies really don`t do well with processed foods and the junk we eat with more ingredients in it that we can`t pronounce than we can. When this stuff hits your belly, you body digs through it looking for the ``good`` stuff - the vitamins, the good carbs, fats and proteins. When your body doesn`t find the good stuff, it sends whatever it has to the cells and tells the cells to hang on to it, just in case there`s no good stuff coming!

That`s getting fat while your body is in starvation mode.

The idea of eating more to loose weight for the most part means eating more often. We are supposed to eat six times a day. Three meals and up to three snacks.... or about every two to three hours (not within two hours of sleeping but that`s another blog response).

Think of it like heating the house with a wood stove. You don`t want to stuff the stove full and turn the house into a sweatlodge, then let it get to the point of shivering before you put more wood in the stove. You want to put wood in the stove at regular intervals and about the same amount every time to be a comfortable temperature in the house at all times. Your body works best when you treat it the same way, all the time.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Brenda
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I even had my hubby explain all this to me and once he said TDEE I blanked out...lol. I just do what Mfp tells me to do, cuz I don't get it either!
  • fiveohmike
    Options

I am pretty active. I clean houses 5 days a week for 4-5 hours each day for work, and I have been taking moderate paced morning walks 3-5 days a week for 60 minutes each time.

Wow thats a hefty amount of exercise.

Calculating based on Strenuous activity:

BMR - 1882

TDEE - 3247

TDEE - 20% cut target - 2597

You would be shooting for 2600 calories (not eating back exercise calories.

This equates to a deficit that allows for roughly 1.3lbs per week lost.

*however I would suggest something like a BodyMedia FIT that you wear 24 hours day to monitor closer how many calories you burn in a day.

Cleaning house can vary in exertion level
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    So - if I am set on MFPs apparently uniform 1200 cals per day plan - eating those - working out daily and burning 600 to 800 - and eating those back - (for an avg og 1800 cals per day) - am I at least close to being on the right track? I know this isn't rocket science - apparently I'm just making it way harder than it should be.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    So - if I am set on MFPs apparently uniform 1200 cals per day plan - eating those - working out daily and burning 600 to 800 - and eating those back - (for an avg og 1800 cals per day) - am I at least close to being on the right track? I know this isn't rocket science - apparently I'm just making it way harder than it should be.

Yep your on the right track, however I would adjust to 1lb per week (MFP recommended) and not 2lbs.