Any suggestions for easing sciatic nerve pain?

Options
I have booked a doctor's appointment, but have to wait a week... so in the meantime:

I often get a horrible pain down the back of my leg, starting from my lower back/bum cheek haha. It's stopping me sleeping, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to ease the pain? I've taken painkillers with little effect.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    For me it was lots of stretching, yoga, and working on balance/core. It took a loooong time, but today I am almost pain free.
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a chiropractor and/or acupuncturist?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I have suffered for many years, and until this past December I've taken motrin, 800mgs and at least it helped me deal with the pain. In December I moved some chairs at work and bam the pain hit and I was wondering how in the world I was going to work. With all the getting up and down and walking I was going to be expected to do I didn't think I was going to be able to do it. Then a lady I work with does holistic healing and she did her thing "gave me energy" is what she calls it. And still today I can honestly say I have no more major pain from it, some small twinges but nothing I can't handle. Don't even take any drugs anymore. It may just be all in my head and she did nothing, but hey it works. I can even sleep on my back which I haven't done in a few years. I'm sure the weight loss has helped but even before the weight started coming off I could sleep on my back. Yep life is good :)
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For me it was lots of stretching, yoga, and working on balance/core. It took a loooong time, but today I am almost pain free.

^^ This ^^ Yoga & stretches helped me TONS.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Ask the doctor for Lidocaine patches. That way you don't have to take any pills and process them through your body. Also, sometimes Salon Pas or Tiger Balm patches work for me. Stay off the nerve - don't stay seated for long periods of time - get up and move around every 1/2 hour.