Can I "save" exercise calories for another day?

Options
I have heard that you're supposed to try to eat back your exercise calories but I am just not that hungry today and I have another 500+ to go! Can I "save" them for a short while, like use them tomorrow or the next day?

Replies

• wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    bump. I want to know the answer to that too.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
  • michellematteson
    Options
    Yep, you can save it for the next day. Some people will also "bank" calories throughout the week so they can have a larger meal. If it works for you, go for it.
  • sublimeluver
    Options
    is it best to eat back those calories or no?
  • jezlives
    jezlives Posts: 3
    Options
    some of us are newbies when it comes to fitness and nutrition and we learn as we go. take it easy on us:)
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    It depends some people do a weekly calorie count instead of a daily So I think you can
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Yeah, u can. It all works out the same. I'm eating lower to day so I can eat Chinese 2moro. Then I'll eat lower again on Friday.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sure, I pay more attention to the week's calories than each day. Within reason though - I don't "save" them for days or weeks later.
    What that means in practice is that if I'm a bit under one day and a bit over another day I don't let it bother me.

The other thing that helps is to plan your meals for the day - if you know you are going to be exercising later in the day you can eat a bit more at breakfast or lunch to make sure you have plenty of energy for your workout.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I treat my calories like a weekly pool.

I like to be under for the week, but I might go over or under on individual days.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I do! A lot of times I exercise at night right before bed, and exercise tends to kill my appetite, so I am not hungry at all after running at 9 PM. The next day though, I am ravenous, so I eat more then to make up for it.
  • Curlykutie88
    Options
    Yes you can, weight loss usually is determined by the amount of calories and fat you burn for an entire week, so if you burn more one day and the next day eat a bit more than the norm it will still equal out at the end of the week. That's why our daily weight fluctuates and we may not see results until the end of the week; even the next. One lb of fat = 3,500 calories..so if you burn that all together in a week than yes you will still reach the same goal :) hope this helps
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Can I "save" exercise calories for another day?

I do. I average out my calories over the week (monday - sunday). On sunday I typically eat out or make something extra yummy at home that requires calorie heavy ingredients and some desert. I typically save only my workout calories though so that the rest of the days I don't feel hungry
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options

If you are hungry eat them back if not you dont have to
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

If you are using MFP to calculate your calorie allowance, then generally the answer is yes.
    If you are getting your calorie allowance number from somewhere else, then see what they say.

www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

It depends on what ur body likes. Some will tell u to eat them back, some will tell you not to. Some will get into huge arguements & discussions about it. I do not eat them. I say just do what works best for u.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Most definitely yes.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    yep. your body doesn't think of calories the same way as your brain.

you can eat them tomorrow or later during the week if you want. it shouldn't effect your weight loss.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep! I do. I save my extra calories for the weekend which are my Free days! I eat good then. :)
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    Seriously?
    No unfortunately you can't just save calories for another day. Everything resets at midnight, Cinderella.

Weird, I guess I missed the memo about humans being digital clocks? What if I work nights, huh?

You can sort of bank them, but probably not all 500... I tend to look at my weekly and if I'm keeping a nice average, keep doing what I'm doing. If I'm seeing a low average, I'll try to eat a little more one day, same with my macros - if I'm low on protein for the week, I'll try to have a big meaty meal.

Really, it's whatever works for you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you're being stupid. It's your body, don't feed it when it's not hungry, just do whatever feels best. If you have any more questions, I'd love to try and help.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

It depends on who you ask. However, the way MFP works is that it has already taken your exercise cals into account when it gives you your daily allocation, so you have 'earned' those calories, and you get to eat them back. Not everyone does this though, and it's a widely debated topic.