PCOS-ers who've lost weight

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For those of you on metformin - a small study found the amino acid N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine to be as effective as metformin for various symptoms. I've been on it for a few months for unrelated reasons(it was prescribed by a psychiatrist), but noticed that my insulin sensitivity improved and my hair growth lessened dramatically, all in addition to improving mood. It's also great for a bunch of other reasons listed in the wikipedia link below. Also, a more detailed forum post. Maybe worth asking your docs about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine#Polycystic_Ovary_Syndrome
    http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=145498

Do I need a rx for that?

Yeah I think you do.

Getting it today at GNC, hopefully I will have good results
  • nixthebrownies
    nixthebrownies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    for those of you have lost weight, i am curious what you did to do so. many people say taking metformin has helped, but still others say no. some people say a low carb high fat diet helped, and again, others say no. for those of you who have lost a significant amount of weight (some people on this board have lost over 30 pounds with PCOS (even close to 100), and I am curious... how you did so. I've lowered my calorie intake and worked out, religiously tracking what i put in my mouth and it seems despite my best efforts I either maintain, or steadily gain. I am losing hope.
  • Rowberta
    Rowberta Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I would like to hear suggestions from others on this topic
  • dooniez
    dooniez Posts: 48
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have lost weight. Your doctor will not prescribe you metformin just to lose weight. How do I know this? I work with doctors every day. They can't just prescribe you something because you want to lose weight. If you have diabetes, or other health conditions that metformin is meant to help with, then by all means...ask.
    I have lost 20 pounds over the course off on and off dieting. I have in the last 2 months lost 10 pounds. It comes down to diet and exercise. Yes, you will have a harder time losing the weight depending on the severity of your PCOS. I'm just saying that metformin is not a diet drug or the magic pill. Without a good clean diet and exercise you can't change anything. It comes down to change.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Well as a follow-up (I posted this thread 3yrs ago.

Losing weight did help my PCOS symptoms, so much so, I'm considered PCOS free now.

It did increase my fertility, however we didn't end up with a successful outcome and are no longer trying.

You don't need to eat a clean diet, but low carbs and lots of leafy greens have seen good results in women with PCOS.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Oh. And resistance training. Do some.
  • turtlefan137
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have lost weight. Your doctor will not prescribe you metformin just to lose weight. How do I know this? I work with doctors every day. They can't just prescribe you something because you want to lose weight. If you have diabetes, or other health conditions that metformin is meant to help with, then by all means...ask.
    I have lost 20 pounds over the course off on and off dieting. I have in the last 2 months lost 10 pounds. It comes down to diet and exercise. Yes, you will have a harder time losing the weight depending on the severity of your PCOS. I'm just saying that metformin is not a diet drug or the magic pill. Without a good clean diet and exercise you can't change anything. It comes down to change.

What doctors have you worked with? I've had four separate endocrinologists in two states, as well as my PCP, happily prescribe me metformin and I wasn't doctor shopping to find these docs. Hell, they recommended the drug. They all recognized that my PCOS was interfering both with my weight and my period's regularity. For me, I start having regular periods when I'm on the metformin and keep my weight below a certain level.

PCOS interacts with insulin resistance, which in turn is related to weight and diabetes. So taking metformin is a way of counteracting the negative effects of PCOS. This is very well studied and most results suggest that metformin about as good as diet + exercise (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092832) and can be used as an adjuvant to diet and exercise to, for example, promote fertility (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24002410). A few studies suggest that metformin + exercise may be better...or the same...as just exercise. It depends on the study parameters, i.e., insulin vs. weight loss (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/1/131.full)

There are about 786 studies on metformin and PCOS. It'll keep you busy for a while.

Ask your doctor. There is a good chance s/he will start you on metformin even if you're not pre-diabetes. The benefits of the drug outweigh the risks.
  • julieclapham5
    julieclapham5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did have PCOS, until my hysterectomy in 2003. I was put on the pill at 18 and stayed with that until I was 26. I then tried for a year to get pregnant - in that time I lost 2.5 stone and had one period. After I had my son I asked to have a coil fitted as I was so down about my weight. I then went for 14 mths without a period and then fell pregnant whilst still fitted with the coil. Hubby then had a vasectomy before I had my op. At my six wk check I was told I have PCOS, fibroids and endometriosis. No wonder I had pain ALL the time. I'm getting a few stray whiskers on my chin now but have just put that down to my age as most of my friends say the same!!
  • Alexander233
    Alexander233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS now for about 7 years and the only thing that helped was metformin (glucophage). My weight has always gone up and down and I have felt no better either way. I also tried 2 rounds of clomid with no effect. My hubby and I decided to just relax and enjoy life and if pregnancy ever happened then it was meant to be. We stopped putting pressure on ourselves and I'm now 24 weeks pregnant. It came as a shock after 7 years of trying. My advice to PCOS ladies is to relax, enjoy the life you have, make the most of what you have and one day you might get a big surprise like I have. Good luck!
  • dooniez
    dooniez Posts: 48
    Options

What doctors have you worked with? I've had four separate endocrinologists in two states, as well as my PCP, happily prescribe me metformin and I wasn't doctor shopping to find these docs. Hell, they recommended the drug. They all recognized that my PCOS was interfering both with my weight and my period's regularity. For me, I start having regular periods when I'm on the metformin and keep my weight below a certain level.

PCOS interacts with insulin resistance, which in turn is related to weight and diabetes. So taking metformin is a way of counteracting the negative effects of PCOS. This is very well studied and most results suggest that metformin about as good as diet + exercise (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092832) and can be used as an adjuvant to diet and exercise to, for example, promote fertility (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24002410). A few studies suggest that metformin + exercise may be better...or the same...as just exercise. It depends on the study parameters, i.e., insulin vs. weight loss (http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/1/131.full)

There are about 786 studies on metformin and PCOS. It'll keep you busy for a while.

Ask your doctor. There is a good chance s/he will start you on metformin even if you're not pre-diabetes. The benefits of the drug outweigh the risks.

No no...I agree it works if you are having irregular periods. My point is that they will not prescribe it if your sole reason is to lose weight. If you are having fertility issues, irregular periods, insulin problems, then yes...that's what it's designed for. I just done want people to get false hope that it is a magic weight loss pill.
  • kazzsjourney2goal
    kazzsjourney2goal Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and it did for me...cycles are now 28-32 days previously i could go as long as 7 months between cycles. I also noticed improvement in my skin, and migraines reduced greatly too :)
  • Teach4Hisglory
    Teach4Hisglory Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can't speak about fertility issues, as I'm not married, but I can say that many of my other symptoms are reduced when I follow a strict low-carb diet. I feel much better, have more energy, and lower blood sugar when I low-carb. My cycles do normalize in short order. I also have more energy to exercise, so it brings my bp down. Losing weight has to be good for anyone who is carrying extra, but I think the diet is more important for me. I can lose weight by exercising like a beast, but if my eating is not right, I don't feel well.
  • CherrypieOmy
    Options
    I had this problem too. I've never been pregnant and have had unprotected sex for years.

I tried metformin and that did nothing. I started taking sertraline for depression early last year and I had started my period again, but that lasted about nine or ten months. Now I'm back to no periods and not entirely sure if I've ovulated because I can feel it in my uterus. I have the signs, but nothing after that. I'm pretty resigned to never having periods as this has lasted well over 12 years now.

Losing weight has been a struggle despite constantly keeping on top of the 'dieting' (when I say dieting, I mean way of eating not the short term 'quick fix' that people get blasted for :D).
  • turtlefan137
    Options
    No no...I agree it works if you are having irregular periods. My point is that they will not prescribe it if your sole reason is to lose weight. If you are having fertility issues, irregular periods, insulin problems, then yes...that's what it's designed for. I just done want people to get false hope that it is a magic weight loss pill.

Insulin resistance is a common side effect of PCOS, as is increased weight gain. Weight loss helps with insulin resistance. Why not use metformin to help get someone's weight down so they have fewer problems with insulin resistance? It's not magic but it is effective in this case.
  • jessicahs251
    jessicahs251 Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    hi. so i've been recently excersing for the past 6 months. Its been tough getting quick weight loss. I was thinking about giving up because I thought losing weight will never help me get my period. And a week of thinking about giving up i had the unexpected occur. I got my period! =) i was really happy becuase it gave me motivation to continue exersizing. But the day my next period is apparently coming is just around the corner. Im expected to have my next period in 3-4 days. Im scared because what if i dont get my period. Anybody out there who can help me. Is there a possiliblity that i will get my period. Any similar cases? started 151 ponds and now 142
  • jessicahs251
    jessicahs251 Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Options

• llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My symptoms are pretty much the same.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I hope you ladies don't mind...I know this isn't what the thread is for, but would anyone mind telling me a little bit about your symptoms as far as the cysts feel? Sorry, maybe I'm not wording it right. To my understand, you can get cysts on your ovaries without having full blown PCOS. I think I get them sometimes and am just curious.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ladies, look into taking DIM and myo inositol and/or d-chiro inositol. These have helped me a lot.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a lucky PCOSer because I've only had the wonky irregular cycles as my major symptom, no hair issues. And my cycle is pretty much like clockwork now at 30 days after 55 pound loss.