has anyone given up read meat? reviews?

Options
2»

Replies

• muchadoaboutme2000
    muchadoaboutme2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I try and limit my red meat intake to once, maybe twice monthly in small doses. I make sure that red meat is the highest grass fed/free range I can find. I also don't eat pork at ALL. Pork makes my gallbladder angry and anyone with that issue knows sausage isn't worth it. Your protein can come from hundreds of other sources.
    I WILL say, nothing beats the smell of a steak on a charcoal grill. If they made that a candle, I'd buy it. LOL
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Gave up beef and pork 6 years ago for health reasons, and for my love of animals. My stomach thanks me for it. I eat poultry and fish a few days a weeks but try to get in as many meatless days as I can. Hope to one day become a full veg, but one day at a time. Good luck to you.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating it because of the calories and until I could learn to fit it into my diet in a healthy way.

Last night, my husband brought home some beautiful looking steaks. I cooked them (I can cook a steak, I actually won a small competition once). We sat down to dinner and after one bite, I was done. I couldn't take the flavor. I got up and made a couple of eggs.

I guess it is poultry and seafood for me from now on. :ohwell:
  • katlyndstewart
    Options
    I gave it up awhile ago, with the rare exception here and there. I'm not going to say it was easy. Red meat is delicious. But nowadays if I eat it, it almost makes me feel sick for a couple hours afterwards. As a whole I feel much better and healthier now that I rarely eat it. There are great recipe books out there geared especially towards chicken and fish (and I'm not a big fish person) but it really helped in making eating chicken constantly not get old.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just couldn't do it. I really enjoy it. We have roast beef or pork once a week. We have Shepherds Pie or Cottage Pie once a week. I have beef pasta, burgers, etc. I eat bacon, sausage, ham, etc.

I just wouldn't be able to hit my protein goals without meat. I know chicken and turkey are the best choices, but I don't think I could live on two kinds of meats knowing right now I enjoy other meats.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to eat hamburger (texture issue), but I LOVE steak. Sadly, my digestive tract, and my IBS, do not love steak, so I do not eat it. Its not worth it. Last time I had a few bites while cutting up the kids steak for dinner and was sick the next day, for the entire day. Since I'm also bothered by pork, chicken, eggs and dairy, I'm started following a vegan diet. Fish I can digest, but it grosses me out.

Honeslty though, if it didn't make me sick, I would eat a big juicy pink steak as often as possible. Especially bbq'd with cattleboys bbq sauce. Mmmmm.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I eat red meat about once a week for the iron. However, when I was a child, I refused to eat any red meat other than veal and the occasional hot dog or meatballs and I was perfectly fine.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you want to give up bacon please post any surplus stocks to me.

Sorry bud! I don't think I could ever give up pork, especially when it's cured! Shoot, if prosciutto is on the menu, may as well burn the rest of the menu!

Thanks for all these comments. This is very helpful. I LOVE, let me repeat, LOVE steak. I eat it about once a week. I'm not crazy about ground beef, so that won't be a problem. When I do eat a burger, it's usually from a restaurant and I prefer bison (still red meat, yes, but not beef). I'm still not sure what to do about this - perhaps I'll move to organic meat only and then see if I can cut down from there since the cost will be so high, I might have more incentive. And then at least I'll feel better about the moral/environmental concerns - we have lots of organic butchers in my area. Thanks all!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just couldn't do it. I really enjoy it. We have roast beef or pork once a week. We have Shepherds Pie or Cottage Pie once a week. I have beef pasta, burgers, etc. I eat bacon, sausage, ham, etc.

I just wouldn't be able to hit my protein goals without meat. I know chicken and turkey are the best choices, but I don't think I could live on two kinds of meats knowing right now I enjoy other meats.

I love Shepherd's Pie, too, I just make it with ground turkey! I don't even remember what the beef kind tastes like anymore.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I gave up red meat in 2003 and all other meat (including fish -yes, it's meat!) in 2011. I've never missed it.
  • melissa4224
    melissa4224 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat red meat simply because I do not like it. I really don't like meat at all. I eat mainly vegetarian meals and some chicken every once in a while. I must say that it is hard to not have chicken though. With my family very much meat-eaters, all meals still include some sort of meat. I usually cook myself a seperate meal with tofu or something else. Anyone have any suggestions about how to make that easier on me? I work full time so I do not always have time to cook 2 meals. Right now I am using my crock pot to cook a large portion of something then freezing appropriate sized meals. How do I get my family to eat more vegetarian meals or is it wrong of me to ask that of them?
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    < Vegetarian 6+ years. Self control necessary.