Following MFP daily food log, has it been accurate for u?

Options
2»

Replies

• 889ronaldo
    Options
    I use the phone app and scan products, this MFP is the best easy system available right now. If you have issues purchase the $99 clip on thingy to sort even more data. Short of wearing BP, HR and GPS monitors I think you'll get results from this easy system.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    It is fairly accurate, some weeks i have lost more then it says I should and some weeks less but it averages out . But it does work if you stick with it and log every morsel of food that passes your lips. And the you will weigh this in 5 weeks is fairly accurate also, provided you do the exact same thing daily which most of us dont
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've found it to be reasonably accurate except for two things: 1) user entered foods in the data base are sometimes not accurate. Sometimes the calories will be right and I won't catch the other mistakes until later when my macros don't add up right. 2) the number of calories it says I burn doing exercise is INSANE! Sometimes I will check it with other sites or if I use the #s on the machines at the gym and a few of the calorie burns MFP reports are TWICE what I think is accurate. I always use the #s from the gym when I exercise there. I don't know if that's correct, but it seems to be closer. I have my MFP set for 2 pounds a week and if I eat 1/2 my exercise calories and stay near goal, I lose about 2 to 2.5 a week. What I don't understand at all though is that if I eat close to what MFP says would be maintenance, or even 500 under, I often plateau or gain. The math doesn't add up. However, if I follow the guide for losing 2 a week and put in my own calorie burn on exercise, it comes out just about right.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It hasn't worked perfectly for me, in that, it has underestimated the amount of food I can eat. I stick to the calories my fitnesspal gives me, then I lose two pounds every other week, instead of just one pound every week that I have it set to.

But I'm not complaining. XD

MFP is wonderful. :D
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have been losing very slowly (about 1/2 lb per week). I adjusted my calorie goal to account for breastfeeding so at the end of the day when I complete my food diary for the day, the estimated weight it gives me is actually more than what I currently weigh. If you ever increase your calorie goal for whatever reason, keep that in mind. I don't even pay attention to what that number is anymore.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Ms. Big Mack, So am I understanding correctly? You are losing 1 lb more each week than anticipated?

That is correct.

And I am as meticulous as they get. If I eat it, it goes in my diary... and the exact brand when possible, and by weight... I use a food scale for everything. I also log every exercise calorie with my Garmin Forerunner 410, which has one of the best HRMs on the market.

The difference, I think, is that at my height, weight and age (5'7", 168 lbs and 36 years old) I have more lean muscle mass than MFP assumes I do (I have more than the average for my height and age: 120 lbs) so I burn more calories than MFP thinks I do.
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, your answers have been great help. I am glad I asked this question.

I now wonder if men tend to lose more each week than women following the MFP program. I will post that ? I have a curious mind.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options

Remember two things:

#1 - Each day is a new beginning, so don't worry about it if you have a rough day nutritionally speaking or if you can't complete the exercise goal you set for yourself that day. Try again tomorrow.

#2 - Love yourself enough to do it, and you WILL succeed. It's about time we gave as much love to ourselves as we do to others.

Talk to you soon!

^^This. I've been doing MFP since February and it seems pretty accurate. The one thing I try to catch is that I underestimate the calories burned by 10 calories, and I shoot to net 1100 calories to make sure I'm not overestimating anything.