Excess skin after losing weight

Options
So I was wondering how common it is for getting excess skin once you lose weight. So far I've lost 20 pounds and I want to lose 65 more pounds. I'm really worried I'm going to have lots of loss and excess skin. My arms are already showing major signs of excess skin. They are do droopy and same with my inner thigh but it's hard to tell if its just fat or skin.

Thinking about getting loss skin discourages me to lose weight. I'm so afraid by losing this weight I'll be making my appearance worse. I was just wondering if excess skim is common and if there is a chance I will get it? Or if you have it now would it change your mind about losing weight. My biggest fear is to trade in fat for extra skin and that doesn't seem worth it, Advice?

Replies

• CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Don't let this issue keep you from starting a new and healthy life.
    I've lost around 50 pounds and am over 50. yes, the belly skin was loose and my upper arms , the back of them, were very loose, like bat wings. But this loose skin doesn't kill you or make you ill and you can do something to tighten everything up.
    Honey, there is hope :bigsmile:
    I did Jillian Michaels' workouts 6 days a week, religiously. Especially the dvd 'No More Trouble Zones' helpes to get nice arms again and my tummy has never looked better the last 28 years (3 kids, 1 caesarean).
    So go for it, it's worth it:flowerforyou:
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    I am not at the stage where I can offer experience on this - yet! But I have heard that incorporating weights training into your workouts helps with the excess skin. I'm not sure if it works or not, but my Personal Trainer has me doing 3 1hr weights sessions and 2 x 30min cardio sessions a week. So far so good :bigsmile:
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I embrace mine! :) I'd rather be saggy than fat.
  • indisguise
    indisguise Posts: 235
    Options
    incorporating weights training into your workouts helps with the excess skin.

Definitely this. ^ My flying squirrel arm flaps have been vanishing since I started working my biceps and triceps.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I have some saggy skin, but I have lost 107 pounds, and I am 50 years old. I think it would have been way less if I had lost weight when I was younger. I think my health is more important then a little sagging skin....that I can cover with clothes and look pretty good. My fat wasn't hidden by anything I wore.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options

^ My flying squirrel arm flaps

hehe

I am petrified of saggy skin too
  • neffesther
    neffesther Posts: 55
    Options
    I can't speak from experience either, but I am also terrified of getting saggy skin. I have heard that several things can help with it though. Weight-training is supposed to help keep it toned and tight, especially if you do it as you lose weight. I've also heard that using a salt scrub in the shower helps because the salt draws out toxins in the skin, and it also promotes circulation to the area which helps with skin elasticity. Also, I have heard that losing weight slowly is supposed to cut down on the extra skin problem.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options

Great attitude to have.
    Well done on your loss.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Damn right!

You can weight train, but as you age, your skin loses its elasticity; it's just a part of being human. I understand that all of us want to look our best, but please try not to be discouraged by a fear of loose skin.
    I'm afraid of it as well. I think we all are.
  • bbonito08
    bbonito08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was told my my doctor, If you loose a lot weight in a Extreme amount of time(example: 30 lbs in a month) odds are you will have loose skin because your skin's natural elastic can not keep up with your weight loss. They told me this because I had the gastric Bypass Surgery. They also said if I drank alot of water it helps your skin regain elasticity to help firm it up. My doctor told me if I started looseing slower like 2-3 lbs a week, I drank lots of water, and I did 2 sets of 5 rep's of some different toning exercizes, it will help lessen the amount of skin.

So my advice, Do not try and warp speed your weightloss, take it easy, take some time to tone, and drink water...... After taking my Doctor's advice, I have loss 1.5 inch around my arm( my problem area...I use the shake weight 2x a week...10 min)
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you can do after you have lost the weight too quickly to fix it? My mother lost about 120 pounds a few years ago with gastric bypass surgery. The excess skin is causing sores because it rubs on itself, so does anyone have any advice for her?
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is all relevant to me! thanks for a great and practicle post
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is all relevant to me! thanks for a great and practicle post
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am so worried abt excess skin too! I also, can't really tell if my arms are just fat yet or if it's loose skin. I sometimes pinch or squeeze my arms (we call them bingo wings lol) and they feel like they're "filled" but then again, I dunno how it would feel if its excess skin.
    I met with a personal trainer who showed me some arm exercises to do with weights. So I have been working out my triceps, in hopes to not get loose skin.
    Good post! I always thought of excess skin too, especially my arms.
  • chose2change
    Options
    I think exercising , drinking water and massages are the key to minimize loose skin during weight loss.During weight loss be slow and steady, give body the time to adjust.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!