How does weight loss actually happen in the body?

Options
I know this might be an obvious question, but how is the fat slowly broken down and then redistributed as one loses weight? Fat is solid - where does it go and how does it transform? I know this might seem like a stupid question but I have no idea.

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm no bio major but imagine fuel oil in a lamp or furnace. I don't think it's much different. Fat is molecules. As the body uses fat up for fuel, fat cells are made less full of fat molecules. The fat is transferred from its cellular storage into the bloodstream to where it's used as fuel in the body processes that occur at the cellular level throughout the body. Or something. Body heat is one byproduct, just like an oil furnace gives off heat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your body exhales some of it out as carbon dioxide, the rest leaves as sweat or urine.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, just another similar question: If you are burning your own fat as a fuel source, are you in fact on a high fat diet? Does burning your own fat (saturated fat) raise your cholesterol? Very curious.
  • pinkpaper02
    Options
    Fat is a source of fuel or energy just like carbohydrates/glycogen I'm assuming. It is used to power your body.
  • bporter30080
    Options
    If i remember correctly from school: Its called lipolysis. Each fat cell get filled up with i believe triglycerides (fat molecule) when excess food is eaten, to use for future need. So fat cells get bigger instead of multiplying. Each fat cell has receptors i believe alph and beta receptors that specific chemicals activate. one for fat storage and one for fat release. So when you eat at a calorie deficit (for instance 500 cals) thats 500 cals you body needs to make up for the not eating500 cals. So chemicals are sent to fat cells triggering one of the receptors to release the contents ( i think beta receptors) the fat molecules enter the blood stream and makes it way to the muscle celss mitochondria to burn it up for fuel. Another thing is when for instance low carb dieting and eating alot of fats, your body can switch over to a ketosis states which uses fat primarily as its fuel source. this in turns produces ketones in the blood which gets excreted through the urine just a extra fyi. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.
  • rtpjmlm5
    rtpjmlm5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Urine
    Sweat
    Breathing
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    If i remember correctly from school: Its called lipolysis. Each fat cell get filled up with i believe triglycerides (fat molecule) when excess food is eaten, to use for future need. So fat cells get bigger instead of multiplying. Each fat cell has receptors i believe alph and beta receptors that specific chemicals activate. one for fat storage and one for fat release. So when you eat at a calorie deficit (for instance 500 cals) thats 500 cals you body needs to make up for the not eating500 cals. So chemicals are sent to fat cells triggering one of the receptors to release the contents ( i think beta receptors) the fat molecules enter the blood stream and makes it way to the muscle celss mitochondria to burn it up for fuel. Another thing is when for instance low carb dieting and eating alot of fats, your body can switch over to a ketosis states which uses fat primarily as its fuel source. this in turns produces ketones in the blood which gets excreted through the urine just a extra fyi. Correct me if i'm wrong anyone.

Read this and then lock the thread, couldn't have explained it better myself!