It's time! Ayone with words of advice on making this work...

sheri5734
sheri5734 Posts: 109
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hey everyone, I started myfitnesspal yesterday and I don't want this to be another "fad" that I start and then give up on. I would love to have some words of advice from you guys that are doing so great or from the people that like me are just starting this and hoping that this will be the one thing that sticks!
Hope to hear from you

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    My advice, join one of these "challenge" groups you see posted about all over the boards. (Just pop in, comment to ask if you can join..... "Can I join" = Is this a good point to join or are you almost done and next week would be a better starting point for me...... NOT like it's an exclusive group! We are all friendly and wonderful here!! :smooched: ). Keep up with a group. Have others hold you accountable. Check in often. Make MFP friends. IT WORKS!!!

Welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Hey everyone, I started myfitnesspal yesterday and I don't want this to be another "fad" that I start and then give up on. I would love to have some words of advice from you guys that are doing so great or from the people that like me are just starting this and hoping that this will be the one thing that sticks!
    Hope to hear from you
    Welcome aboard and good luck on your weight loss ..... I am in a group called New me ..... you are welcome to join ...... we weigh in every wednesday ... again good luck
  • My advice is: When you fall off and stop counting calories/working out, because you will fall off, get back on and get to it! Once you see the weight coming off and it mentally clicks that working out and eating within your calorie range = weight loss it becomes so much easier :) But on that note, give it a few weeks. Everyone's bodies reacts differently to a change up...you might find in the first month of logging what you eat and exercise that you GAIN weight. Don't let this discourage you, just keep at it.

I currently have fallen off the wagon and should take my own advice. Check in often, everyone is very friendly!!

Just keep on keeping on!!!! And have fun! :flowerforyou:
  • Try not to take on to much in the begining. Try working on how much water you should be drinking each day. Try that for a few days and then try excercising. Figure out which days you are going to excercise and for how long. When you have your routine down then start to add your food to your food diary to just see how many cals you are taking in each day. Once you get the hang of that then look at your food diary and see which foods to cut out and which foods to add and which foods to cut down on. Most important don't get discouraged.
  • Thank you all so much I will take in all your advice :smile:
  • How do you join the groups you are all talking about?
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    My Advice is to go look at the success pic under success stories...Thats enough to get anybody motivated we have members here that have lost over a 100lbs if they cananybody can big ups to you and welcome:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    How do you join the groups you are all talking about?

Post on their threads. Ask to join. Just that easy. :flowerforyou: No official memberships or anything like that. Just like-minded people joining together for a goal. There are Preggers threads, certain age group threads, threads for those with diabetes, threads for Clean Eaters... you name it, we probably got it! :laugh:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    How do you join the groups you are all talking about?

Post on their threads. Ask to join. Just that easy. :flowerforyou: No official memberships or anything like that. Just like-minded people joining together for a goal. There are Preggers threads, certain age group threads, threads for those with diabetes, threads for Clean Eaters... you name it, we probably got it! :laugh:

Im co-signing again:laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    My advice? Don't make this so much a 'diet' as a new 'lifestyle'. Don't deny yourself ALL of the things you love to eat/drink. Find a way to eat them in a healthier form or smaller portions or less frequently. Do be accountable for everything you eat/drink, but work some treats in there, because to keep the weight off and to stick to the plan, you have to enjoy it and not feel deprived constantly.

Good luck!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever!!!! You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, motivational, helpful, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you much success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard and don’t lose sight of your goal.
    This site changed my life and it can change yours

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Think of this as a new way of life, not just a temporary diet.

It always helps me to log my food first before I eat so there are no surprise:laugh: s.

Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day. The best way to find a group is to go to the “motivation and support” message board and read a lot of the threads until you find a group that has what you want, then reply and say you want to join and then participate regularly with them and get to know them. My groups are 50+ women and senior golden sneakers and we might be a little old for you, although if you wanted to join, we would welcome you. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Hi Everyone. I have had this account for a long time....over a year....I have just recently started to take this weight loss journey seriously. I started at 170 and am now down to 158! It's going slow but it's going so that's what counts. I really appreciated all the comments written here about keeping motivated, and if you fall off to just get back on because everyone has hard times. Thanks so much for all this support it makes all the difference in the world!!!

Also on a side note, I am living in the DC area, I am 25 and I'd love to get to know more fitness pal ppl in the area and even meet up for workouts because I know personally this is what keeps me accountable!

Good Luck to everyone!

Anna
  • Hi Sheri, I'm finally on and I think this site will become addictive but in a good way.. Can't wait to see how I do just after one week.
  • Hey chomper, I know it is very addictive but in a good way. I just have to learn to look up the foods before I eat them hahaha I really learned my lesson since the quizno's salad!!!!!!!!! Well I will see you at the gym:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.