grrrr so annoyed.

Options
Why oh why wont the scales drop for me, Ive been stuck at the same weight for about 6 weeks now. I cant get passed my lowest, i weigh every day and the scales are always up abit but never past my lowest which i got too about 8 weeks ago.
Im eating 1500 per day, walking for about at least 2 hours and doing the gillian michaels 30 day shred video too at the mo. So im burning more than 500 cals a day in exercise alone.Im also doing the 16 hour fast, which i started about 5 days ago and nothing but nothing is ,making the scales drop, for gods sake, what do i need to do, STARVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• katmariew
    katmariew Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You listed about 3 potential reasons for your failure:
    1) DON'T FAST - there is no biological/evolutionary advantage to purposely denying yourself food. Ever.
    2) You have a net caloric intake of about 1000 calories. That's too low.
    3) Weighing everyday - you will drive yourself insane, and it will cause you to make irrational decisions about your lifestyle.

Eat MORE PROTEIN, do some strength training, and build up more muscle. In fact, what could be happening is that all the exercising you are doing is actually causing you to gain muscle mass (but you may be losing fat), which could be the reason the scale isn't budging. But give it more time, and you could get the results you want.

I think your main problem is the fasting and the low calories.
  • rtpjmlm5
    rtpjmlm5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me a few years back I tried everything and in the end I did end up starving and that worked but don't even think about doing it. It didn't last very long and I ended gaining the weight back plus some.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Well I know they say eat the calories back but no one can really say if thats right or not, so I dont do it much, I might eat then back abit but not all. On monday I burned over 900 cals in one day, and this net thing, does that really mean my body is only getting 600 cals in a day. Surely i would feel week and tired,and I dont, i feel fine, the fasting was recommended to me to try and lose, as it stops you eating so much, but i still eat all my cals per day , just in a sorter time frame. I read last night about a study on mice and those that fasted for 16 hrs, lost 20 percent of there weight over time, and they ate junk food, while the mice that had free reign but on weight.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    What annoys me most, is- when i first started cutting back on the 22nd of april, the first 3 weeks, where great, i dropped weight every few days and then it just stopped. I dont think my body wants to get rid od this excess fat ive got, which is bloody annoying.
  • CeeRawr89
    CeeRawr89 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    your net is the total amount of calories you have. If you net 600, that's it. You need more. You need protein, and lift to lose!
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    What annoys me most, is- when i first started cutting back on the 22nd of april, the first 3 weeks, where great, i dropped weight every few days and then it just stopped. I dont think my body wants to get rid od this excess fat ive got, which is bloody annoying.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Why oh why wont the scales drop for me, Ive been stuck at the same weight for about 6 weeks now. I cant get passed my lowest, i weigh every day and the scales are always up abit but never past my lowest which i got too about 8 weeks ago.
    Im eating 1500 per day, walking for about at least 2 hours and doing the gillian michaels 30 day shred video too at the mo. So im burning more than 500 cals a day in exercise alone.Im also doing the 16 hour fast, which i started about 5 days ago and nothing but nothing is ,making the scales drop, for gods sake, what do i need to do, STARVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have you measured instead of weighing? You may be losing inches and gaining muscle.
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    I eating plenty of protein anyway, and most days im eating well, with fresh meat and veg. Its annoying me how people can eat fast food and lose weight, and here is me avoiding them.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    You've not got much to lose so you should eat more. I think they recommend a half lb loss at your weight, I didn't realise you only had a stone to lose. Big deficits are fine when your a lot overweight but not for you now. Check out the eat more to lose more threads. Zara x
  • Snowflake0917
    Options
    Weight watcher leader told me to increase points (cals) when on a plateau.....it worked. Evidently your body feels it is starving and holds on to weight???? Don't know what happened but I increased water, decreased exercise a bit and increased cals a bit and began to lose again. After 2 weeks I went back to previous routine and continued to lose.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Well I know they say eat the calories back but no one can really say if thats right or not, so I dont do it much, I might eat then back abit but not all. On monday I burned over 900 cals in one day, and this net thing, does that really mean my body is only getting 600 cals in a day. Surely i would feel week and tired,and I dont, i feel fine, the fasting was recommended to me to try and lose, as it stops you eating so much, but i still eat all my cals per day , just in a sorter time frame. I read last night about a study on mice and those that fasted for 16 hrs, lost 20 percent of there weight over time, and they ate junk food, while the mice that had free reign but on weight.

As what you are doing now isn't working why don't you eat back your exercise calories and see if that works? I'd understand not trying it if what you are doing was working but since its not you've started this thread.

I also feel fine only netting 600 calories a day. Is it healthy? No. What am I here to do? Get healthy. So.....(?!)
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    i'd say eat a little more. i was eating 1,600 calories a day and was stuck at about 185 for seriously months. i upped my intake to 1,800 and i cheated and looked at the scale this morning (weigh in for me is tomorrow) and the scale is moving again! :) make sure you're drinking enough water too. i don't know about there, but it's HOT here! 104 degrees today!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You're not burning 900 calories. From the exercise you're describing I'd say maybe 400. So don't worry about that.

I would stay at 1500 calories per day (including exercise), and check back in 30 days.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    DON'T FAST - there is no biological/evolutionary advantage to purposely denying yourself food. Ever.

Please sustain this statement. What evidence are you using to make this claim?
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    I'd say just mix it up some, change your cals maybe high one day then low the next. Change your exercise routine, maybe do something different. And if your going by your BMR then recheck that because it changes as the scale goes lower, so you may be at your maintaining level. I wouldn't worry about those saying your getting to little, just change it up some.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You listed about 3 potential reasons for your failure:
    1) DON'T FAST - there is no biological/evolutionary advantage to purposely denying yourself food. Ever.

. In fact, what could be happening is that all the exercising you are doing is actually causing you to gain muscle mass (but you may be losing fat), which could be the reason the scale isn't budging.

there is nothing wrong with a 16 hour fast...nothing at all.

it is extremely hard to gain muscle mass period and virtually impossible to do while in a caloric deficit and not doing any heavy weight training so dont even think along that line.

get as accurate as you can on your calorie requirements accounting for ALL your activity. make sure all your foods are counted (everything you put in your mouth including vitamins if you are taking more than a multi). keep your deficit low...1/2 to one pound a week is a good goal. get your numbers dialed in and give it 21 days.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Try changing your meals. I've not looked at your diary but if you're having ceral for breakfast change to eggs or toast, if you mainly have pasta/rice have potatoes. Sometimes our bodies get used to the same types of food day in day out and it gets complacent with burning the cals, same with exercise mix up your routines. I'm trying to build in some weights as thats where you will burn more fat.

also try increasing the calories esp on days you exercise, I've always thought dont eat the extra exercise calories but it seems that MFP is designed so your basic calories are to lose weight healthily so you therefore need to use the ones you burn, possibly not all of them as we dont know how accurate it is but I'm trying to work on at least half now.

Good luck
  • hazelovesfood
    Options
    Lol, im already eating plenty of protein in one form or another. Apart from stop eating my cereal, which im not going to as i love it, there isnt much i can change, I think ive got a pretty good diet, compared to some.And ive checked how much i burn against the best burning tool on the net, and its close enough, so I will go byt what mfp says. I burn 1980 cals per day just doing basic activities at home, thats before exercise, walking or the circuits i do.Im eating 1500 is per day, so im already at a def before I even do any exerise, with exercise its about 900 to 1000 cals per day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    i do.Im eating 1500 is per day, so im already at a def before I even do any exerise, with exercise its about 900 to 1000 cals per day.

IMO, your deficit is a bit too high and since that isnt working, I would lower it by 1/2

edit to add-
    I know on a gut level it doesnt seem to make sense to eat more to lose more, but it works