"healthy" Alchoholic drinks

Options
13»

Replies

• kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    healthy and alcohol is an oxymoron, sorry. If you want to know the lowest calorie count then stick to vodka and tonic, its almost zero calories.

Vodka has upwards of 55 calories in 1 oz. Most places would make a vodka tonic with 1.25 to 1.5 ounces of vodka. And tonic has about 10 calories or so in an ounce. So, you're looking at at least 100 calories in one drink.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    scotch with a splash of water
    Cointreau on ice
    light beer
    any hard liquor with zero cal mix

all low cal options, in moderation and skipping the munchies that come with it lol
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Red wine has lower calories.

My cabernet is pretty reasonable at 120 calories for 5 ounces.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have found if you do not mix hard alcohol with soda and juiced you can cut a lot of empty calories out.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Merlot or Cabernet is pretty low calorie-I prefer wine over drinks but here are a few mixed drink options-Apple Martini, Mojito, Rum and Diet Coke,Tequila and Lime Juice
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    first, i saw someone mention vodka and red bull. mixing any alcohol with energy drinks is a recipe for disaster. even drinking red bull or other energy drinks straight WHILE out drinking - like having an alcoholic drink, then a red bull - is very dangerous. i can go into the scientific-y parts of it and bore everyone who is not me...

also, if you're taking any supplements (pre/post workout supps, shakes, especially those with creatine) you should abstain from drinking any alcohol. supplements have to be processed through the liver, and creatine definitely taxes the liver. if you then drink alcohol, the liver is busy working on the supps and creatine - and the alcohol basically just hits your bloodstream like woah. i've seen this happen, and it's frightening.

finally, alcohol has no nutritional value (i know many people tout the benefits of red wine, and i don't disagree with the benefits, but they are benefits that can be obtained elsewhere - not only from red wine). i understand the idea of relaxing and socializing with friends and enjoying a drink, but it's not necessary to have fun or interact with people. in all honesty, if you're going to go out and have a drink, i say drink what you enjoy and hang your diet/macros/whatever - just do it in moderation. have a beer or two, have a vodka and soda or two, have a rum and coke or two - and leave it at that. alternate an alcoholic drink and water so you stretch them out and still always have a drink in your hand. if you can't go out and just have a drink or two, then you probably shouldn't have that first drink IMHO.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find as long as I have a glass in my hand people are happy. They don't need to know its just diet soda or water. I alternate between water and a drink (normally vanilla vodka n diet coke). Everyone is happy, I don't over do it, and I feel great the next day.
  • suzamos
    Options
    summer light beer comes in at 95 cals per beer and is nice to drink
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Red wines
    White wines
    Hard liquor
    Stay away from mixed drinks as often as possible
    If u must have a chaser use water, diet tonic, squeezed lime/lemons or diet soda/pop.
  • Ashiieepuff
    Options
    An Amstel lite/miller lite averages at 96 calories a bottle. Not too bad!
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    surprised nobody mentioned Bloody Mary...you're getting your veggies too!

You can order Mary's with other liquors to suit your taste: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(cocktail)

too many to list but examples are, Bloody Ninja=tomato juice and sake, Bloody Molly=tomato juice and Irish Whiskey.

i know the sodium content may put you over, but eh, if you can fit it in your daily minimums, why not?
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

You can order Mary's with other liquors to suit your taste: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(cocktail)

too many to list but examples are, Bloody Ninja=tomato juice and sake, Bloody Molly=tomato juice and Irish Whiskey.

i know the sodium content may put you over, but eh, if you can fit it in your daily minimums, why not?

U can make em w low sodium V8
  • SacrificeSufferSalvation
    Options
    Just have your favorite liquor on the rocks or with a splash of water with it. My mouth is watering thinking about it.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

U can make em w low sodium V8

that's what I do at home, and minus the alcohol. I just like the taste of V8 with some chili powder and worcestershire sauce.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Oh lord if I am drinking I am not worried about my calories that day lol.