I want....

Options
EVERYTHING!!

I'm new to this lifestyle change and I am doing quite well... but it's starting to hit me. I am full after I eat but I look longingly at my truck keys and dream of driving 5 minutes to get some Chick-Fil-A! I want to eat ice cream, cookies, Chick-Fil-A, pizza... ALL the BAD stuff!!

I got some sugar free/fat free Jell-O pudding and those Skinny Cow low fat ice cream sandwiches to satisfy my sweet tooth.. But chips and salt and fried food are calling my name!! How I have the strength to resist.. I can't tell. But I AM resisting and I am damn proud of myself for doing so!!

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! And remember... most (if not all) things you CAN have in MODERATION.... earn them with extra exercise first... if it's worth exercising for FIRST, then you can eat it.... that's how I do it most of the time! (I slip every now and then.... :blushing: never by much though.)

You're making LIFE changes that will stick with you..... isn't it nice to have positive things sticking to you and weight going away? :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • countindowntothin
    countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    hey at least your craving chick fil a, none of their sandwiches are more than 500 cals..which is still a little steep, but compared to some at wendys and mickey d's thats not bad at all!! I love their breakfast multigrain chicken egg and cheese bagel! YUMMY!!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The longer you stay away from them, the less 'power' they will have over you. You will begin to enjoy fresh food in a way you never thought you could or would.

And it's not like you can never have that stuff again in your life. Of course you can. You'd just have to count the calories. And you'd not want to do that every day because that stuff doesn't have enough nutrients in it to keep you going.

But you can do this. it's hard, particularly at first, but that will lessen!

and you ARE doing great!
  • kristen5286
    kristen5286 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! And remember... most (if not all) things you CAN have in MODERATION.... earn them with extra exercise first... if it's worth exercising for FIRST, then you can eat it.... that's how I do it most of the time! (I slip every now and then.... :blushing: never by much though.)

You're making LIFE changes that will stick with you..... isn't it nice to have positive things sticking to you and weight going away? :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

it IS nice!! and thank you!! If I didn't see the scale moving after all the hard work I'm putting in I'd say "bleep this!!" and pig out... But I can't wait to meet my goals!

The hard part is my husband isn't on this diet with me (he is super skinny naturally and doesn't think he needs to eat healthy since he is not 'over weight') I am breaking him into the diet with me slowly, changing to healthier choices of the foods he loves and giving him just a little smaller portions (slow is the way to go with him) and tell him if he is still hungry then he can have some extra veggies or fruits. He has agreed to this. But making fatty foods for him or picking him up some fast food is so hard on me.
  • kristen5286
    Options
    hey at least your craving chick fil a, none of their sandwiches are more than 500 cals..which is still a little steep, but compared to some at wendys and mickey d's thats not bad at all!! I love their breakfast multigrain chicken egg and cheese bagel! YUMMY!!

I've never tried those?! Sound really great.. everything they make is amazing!
  • kristen5286
    Options
    The longer you stay away from them, the less 'power' they will have over you. You will begin to enjoy fresh food in a way you never thought you could or would.

And it's not like you can never have that stuff again in your life. Of course you can. You'd just have to count the calories. And you'd not want to do that every day because that stuff doesn't have enough nutrients in it to keep you going.

But you can do this. it's hard, particularly at first, but that will lessen!

and you ARE doing great!

Pastas and breads are not calling to me as strongly as they once did.. I can seriously limit my intake there easily.. but sweets and junk food.. those cravings are just starting to come on.. ugh!!

oh yeah.. THANK YOU!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I've seen in this process that my body goes thru changes when it comes to cravings, and that some are physical, and some are mental. I was a real chocoholic and carbaholic, and the first couple of weeks were tough, but now I don't crave the things like I used to. The physical ones are easier to break, because after your body is detoxified, the cravings are gone. The mental ones, though, are harder, but again, they can be broken too as you replace one behavior with a healthier one.

We can't have fast food here. Even if I have the best of intentions, watching my kids eat those McD's fries sends me over the edge, and then I have to have some, which turn into a lot. I don't crave them any more, unless they are in front of my face. I used to crave fries all the time, and by the time I had worked out enough one day to have fries, I ate them, looked at the calories, and went, oh, so not worth it for all that exercise I had to do. They no longer had the power over me that they did. (The gym is right by a Wendys so the fries were calling to me every single day.)

It will be hard at first, but just hang on and do your best, and just because you fall off the wagon doesn't mean you can't get right back up on it immediately and move forward, just don't adopt the attitude that "I've already screwed up today, the rest of the day doesn't matter" because it does matter.
  • malibootie
    malibootie Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My gym is surrounded by Wendy's, Checker's, Arby's, BK, and (of course) MickeyD's. When I first started trying to improve my health/weight I would go to the gym, do a good hour and feel great- then pick up some fast food on the way home. I knew in my head that it wasn't good, but it tasted SOO delicious. Of course, I also found that I scarfed it down and was then bloated and full. I still have those temptations, it's hard not to, but I tell myself "just not today. Maybe tomorrow, but just not today" and I manage to get through it. The next day when it hits again I say "you were strong yesterday, you can be strong for one more day..." etc etc..

HOWEVER- the sweet tooth thing is COMPLETELY different and I am right there with you. In fact, about an hour ago I was at my desk and craving chocolate. I don't have any chocolate here (because it wouldn't last) and was looking for some kind of sweet substitute. No luck, but I managed to drink another 8oz of water while trying to figure it out. I have only been on MFP for two days, so I don't have any tricks or ideas of what to do when the sugar fairy strikes, but I'm working on it... slowly...
  • kristen5286
    Options
    I've seen in this process that my body goes thru changes when it comes to cravings, and that some are physical, and some are mental. I was a real chocoholic and carbaholic, and the first couple of weeks were tough, but now I don't crave the things like I used to. The physical ones are easier to break, because after your body is detoxified, the cravings are gone. The mental ones, though, are harder, but again, they can be broken too as you replace one behavior with a healthier one.

We can't have fast food here. Even if I have the best of intentions, watching my kids eat those McD's fries sends me over the edge, and then I have to have some, which turn into a lot. I don't crave them any more, unless they are in front of my face. I used to crave fries all the time, and by the time I had worked out enough one day to have fries, I ate them, looked at the calories, and went, oh, so not worth it for all that exercise I had to do. They no longer had the power over me that they did. (The gym is right by a Wendys so the fries were calling to me every single day.)

It will be hard at first, but just hang on and do your best, and just because you fall off the wagon doesn't mean you can't get right back up on it immediately and move forward, just don't adopt the attitude that "I've already screwed up today, the rest of the day doesn't matter" because it does matter.

Thank you! That really helps. My husband eats whatever I make, so, really, it's my fault he is eating fast food b/c I pick it up or tell him to get it on his way home, but with my work schedule I can't always cook. Maybe I will implement a "no fast food unless I'm out of the house" rule. I am a flight attendant and I fly 3 days a week, so that is plenty of time for him to get an unhealthy meal in without me having to see and smell it in all its glorious fattiness!! lol..