I hate how food makes me feel 'better'

Options
So i just realized something that I ordered for work was wrong.... ARRRGGGG!! ( I am a kitchen designer) Its nothing major, but I DO NOT like making mistakes when someone elses money is involved.... either the customer's or my company's.

So needless to say I am totally irritated. Almost instantly after realizing my mistake, I felt the need to eat something chocolatey to make me 'feel better'. Now thankfully we only had one small piece of chocolate left in a mixed box of chocolates or I probably would have housed about 10, but it just amazes me the urge that we sometimes have to fight in order to not be emotional eaters. ITS HARD!!

Thanks for listening.... I just wanted to share. :smile:

Replies

• amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I am also one of those eaters that eat when I am bored at work and have nothing do to.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but it does get easier. You will get to a point where you still have the urge, you eat the whatever you're not supposed to have, and it doesn't help you feel better at all, in fact now you don't feel well on top of it. Then you know your body has broken the addiction and once that food doesn't satisfy anymore, you've broken the emotional addiction. It will come. I never thought it possible, truthfully, because I've been an emotional eater my entire life, from a little kid on, food was my best friend, but it has happened, I started this in mid Jan and realized the food doesn't even make me feel better a few months ago when I caved in and went for the crap I wasn't supposed to eat. So it doesn't take years to get to that point, either. You can do it!
  • Sarah_LM
    Options
    i completely agree with adopt4. I'm a complete emotional eater too and I'd eat nothing but junk. Pizza was my ultimate comfort food (!) whenever I felt low I'd order a takeaway. A few weeks ago I gave in and had one and was surprised that I actually didn't enjoy it like I used to. Afterwards I still felt bad but on top of it I;d blown my diet and it was a real eye opener. Since then I've not even been tempted! Hopefully knowing other people have been there too will show you that you will get past it too! Just don't beat yourself up too much if you do give in occasionally because having a healthy diet is a long term thing that one meal can't ruin.
  • Kalubsmommy
    Options
    So i just realized something that I ordered for work was wrong.... ARRRGGGG!! ( I am a kitchen designer) Its nothing major, but I DO NOT like making mistakes when someone elses money is involved.... either the customer's or my company's.

So needless to say I am totally irritated. Almost instantly after realizing my mistake, I felt the need to eat something chocolatey to make me 'feel better'. Now thankfully we only had one small piece of chocolate left in a mixed box of chocolates or I probably would have housed about 10, but it just amazes me the urge that we sometimes have to fight in order to not be emotional eaters. ITS HARD!!

Thanks for listening.... I just wanted to share. :smile:

Friggin hate it too, Girl! I mean seriously, how can something like a candybar make us feel better? However, just like alcohol, too much of it and you got a hangover. One little candy bar will never hurt. However, a whole bunch, and you are in sugarville hangover! I chew gum....lots of gum! and pop a xanax! :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...now I need to eat something. The thing about a food fix though, it only makes you feel better while you're eating it, and maybe for a short while after, but soon the emotion that caused you to eat takes center stage again.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    My boyfriend is a kitchen designer, too! What a fun job :smile: