Exercise endurance question

Options
3ofmine
3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
I have been walking between 3-5x a week since April. When I first started I couldn't walk for 5mins without having to stop because my back was killing me and my legs would be almost numb(I was 304lbs at 5'2" when I started) now I am done 24lbs and been at this a little bit and I have been able to walk about 10-15mins at a time without stopping for a little while now. The problem is I deem stuck I don't know how to get over this how do I go longer without stopping? I know in the very beginning I walked to the mAilbox everyday until it was easy then walke to the lake but how do I work on endurance?? I need some help Do I just push myself and make myself go longer or do I up my exercise and do it everyday?? Help me!!

Replies

• timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Try structuring your walking a bit more, similar to a C25K program. Walk for 13 minutes, take a break, then 13 more (or whatever time you can complete each time.) Do this for a week (3-5x), then increase the walking time for 1 minute for the next week. It is only a minute, so even if it feels hard the first day, you can get through it, and by the end of the week it will seem easier. Then the next week add another minute. If you get to a point where the last walk of a week is as hard as the first, repeat that time for another week before increasing. Endurance is increased by pushing a little further than you can already do, but only a little at a time.

Good job so far and keep going.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try structuring your walking a bit more, similar to a C25K program. Walk for 13 minutes, take a break, then 13 more (or whatever time you can complete each time.) Do this for a week (3-5x), then increase the walking time for 1 minute for the next week. It is only a minute, so even if it feels hard the first day, you can get through it, and by the end of the week it will seem easier. Then the next week add another minute. If you get to a point where the last walk of a week is as hard as the first, repeat that time for another week before increasing. Endurance is increased by pushing a little further than you can already do, but only a little at a time.

Good job so far and keep going.

Thank you I will give it a try. I am getting frustrated because I thought it should be getting better by now but maybe I need to push it a little. I had no clue how to change it or what to do to move forward so that you :)
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't know as this may depend on any health limitations you have and I'm not sure what is hurting or waning and leading to your stopping after a short bit in. For me, what I found was that I would feel like uhg I can't go any further. My friend would too and she's heavier than I am. We both pushed through that and kept walking. It went away and we found after walking through that rough spot, we could keep going without it being an issue. I do the same on the elliptical. I push through it and then it's done and I can keep right on going without any issue. It all depends on what's causing you to stop. For me, it's my knee. For my friend, it's her knees too. And my breathing. I have asthma, so I am careful there.

Is it still that your legs are going numb? Have they done anything to assist in circulation?