BELVIQ- Here we go! FDA approves new weight loss drug

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
The Food and Drug Administration has approved marketing of the weight-loss drug lorcaserin, the first prescription anti-obesity medication to win the FDA's blessing since the agency approved orlistat in 1999.

Once it is cleared by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the drug will be marketed in the United States under the commercial name Belviq.

The medication won marketing approval as a drug for "chronic weight management in adult patients" with a body mass index greater than 30, or for those with a BMI of 27 or above with a weight-related condition such as high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol or Type 2 diabetes.

The FDA's approval came with a significant warning to consumers likely to flock to a medication that could help boost their weight loss: The safety and effectiveness of Belviq when used alongside other diet medications has not been established.

Nor, the FDA said, has the effect of Belviq on the long-term risk of having, or dying from, a heart attack or stroke.

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-sci-obesity-drug-20120628,0,5990128.story
Like when ALLI came out, the demand will come. My concern as with ALLI is that people that really don't need to take the drug, will get hold of it for "instant gratification" of weight loss. I believe that the obese and those with diabetes who need help should definitely consider it if other avenues of weight loss aren't working, but the "shortcut" will be the more apparent reason that this drug will be talked about on the forums for awhile.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Well I know what threads we'll be seeing for the next few months... sigh.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I heard a snipit about this on the news last night. I think you can only get it if you are obese and have another health related issue like diabetes or high blood pressure.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I wonder what makes it different from Phentermine?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I never tried ALLI.... A pill that gives you uncontrollable liquid farts? No thanks lol. I'm sure this one will have some awful side effects as well, as if the heart attack thing ain't bad enough!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I heard a snipit about this on the news last night. I think you can only get it if you are obese and have another health related issue like diabetes or high blood pressure.
    You can get ANY drug without a prescription ONLINE. It's already available in many other countries since last year under the name of lorcaserin. It's only been APPROVED by the FDA as of yesterday.

I'm ready to buy some stock in Arena.

IDEA Fitness member
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm sure that it works. If you follow the directions, which no doubt will recommend you also eat low calorie and exercise.
  • Speazzy
    Speazzy Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I never tried ALLI.... A pill that gives you uncontrollable liquid farts? No thanks lol. I'm sure this one will have some awful side effects as well, as if the heart attack thing ain't bad enough!

:laugh: I saw that too!! It scared the hell out of me...enough to never want to try it!
  • SThomas215
    Options
    Actually I'm sure that it works. If you follow the directions, which no doubt will recommend you also eat low calorie and exercise.

That was my thought exactly!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sadly many DESPERATE people did, and still use ALLI to lose weight. I had a client (in VA) who used it and did it completely wrong. She didn't read the directions and didn't INTAKE fat. She didn't lose any fat and starting getting really fatigued. I told her to get off of it completely and just trust in herself. It took 8 months, but she lost 40lbs and kept it off as of now according to her FB.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

:laugh: I saw that too!! It scared the hell out of me...enough to never want to try it!
    Yet even with the warnings and only a "modest" weight loss, people who are desperate will try it. And of course those that do and get a little weight loss will RAVE at how good it is.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Personally, the fact that the fda has approved something does not make me feel that it's safe. In fact, I tend to question it more. But yes, like others have stated, I'm pretty positive it's just going to be another, "Will work if used with proper diet and exercise."...Well, duh.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally, the fact that the fda has approved something does not make me feel that it's safe. In fact, I tend to question it more. But yes, like others have stated, I'm pretty positive it's just going to be another, "Will work if used with proper diet and exercise."...Well, duh.
    The FDA usually makes decisions based on scientific study. The main problem I see is WHO did that study and were they funded by the corporation trying to get approval.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Losing 8% of your body weight was considered "effective" REALLY !?!?!?! So people will be willing to take it, for an 8% body weight loss??
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Remember when the FDA approved a pain killer called Bextra and then discovered that it causes narrowing of the walls of the heart which can actually lead to holes in the heart?

When it comes to pharmaceuticals, I feel that it's better to be a fast follower than on the cutting/bleeding edge.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The news article I read said that in the study the participants who took the placebo averaged about 5% loss following the same diet plan and the difference between the groups was VERY slight.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Losing 8% of your body weight was considered "effective" REALLY !?!?!?! So people will be willing to take it, for an 8% body weight loss??

If it were 8% BODY FAT, I'd be on it. But alas.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure what this drug is supposed to do.
  • soymilkcoffee
    Options
    Oh yeah, FDA. A pill that can possibly make me die from a heart attack or stroke is totally safe. :noway:
    But, sadly, most people would overlook that warning and flock to it anyway.
  • MosierTim
    MosierTim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No pill in the world will ever replace Good nutrition and exercise! I am just saying!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Desperate people will do just about anything. Justification is 8% is better than 5%.

IDEA Fitness member