Tell Me Your Love Story...

Options
pennyrtyler
pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
So, my boyfriend and I broke up after a 2 year long relationship. We love each other, and we really tried to make it work, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. I'm a little broken-hearted, but I know with every breath in my body that breaking up was the right thing to do. I moved out of his house and back in with my grandparents to figure out my next step.

Last night, while I was sitting on the deck with them, enjoying the sunset over the lake, Grandaddy popped open a bottle of Corona, grabbed a wine glass, and placed the glass in front of my Grandma. He poured half the beer into her glass before sitting across from her and continuing our talk. They've been married for 60 years as of last May.

When she was eighteen years old, and the second youngest of 9 children in a vegetable farm family in North Mississippi, he visited home on leave from the Air Force. He went to their home to visit his friend Bobby, and found out that she had grown up (!) while he was away. He asked her out on a couple of dates, and even milked her cow (named Ol' Yellow) for her so she could get cleaned up from her chores before they went out. He asked her to marry him in 1952, and they snuck away for the afternoon to say their vows. When they told her mother, she tried to run Grandaddy off with a broom, saying, "You can't take her, George!" They went on to have four children and have lived in Portugal, Texas, New York, Mississippi's Gulf Coast, and several other locations. The friends they've made have stuck with them over the years, and most anybody they know is happy to travel to visit them.

When they pass in the hall, they still reach out to brush each other's hands. When they are sitting in the living room, he reaches over from his recliner to squeeze her foot propped up on the coffee table. He tells everybody that he thinks she is beautiful and sings "I Can't Stop Loving You," to her when we have karaoke at the neighborhood club house. Most days, we work on chores around the house, cooking and cleaning, and tending, and fixing. Even through the mundane routine of keeping house, their connection is playful and affectionate. And at the end of the day, they sit and simply enjoy each other.

That's the best love story I know. It's a great comfort to me after my break-up just to be around them, and see how their love story continues to tell itself.

Tell me a love story that you know...