Today's run sucked! What am I doing wrong?

Options
I'm on week 3 of the Couch-to-5k. After a brutal first day, it's been going pretty well since. However, today sucked.

I did the 5 minute warm-up walk then jogged for 90 seconds, no problems whatsoever. I then did the 90 seconds walking and headed into the 3 minutes jogging. Felt okay after that too, a bit more tired but not feeling horrible. After the 3 minutes walking I went back into the 90 seconds jogging and hit a wall. My legs felt so weak, like they were going to give out underneath me. I had to stop after 60 seconds. I decided to give myself a little more time walking after that, so I walked for a minute and a half and set into jogging again. Hit the wall again and could only go for 30.

The problem isn't that I'm out of breath (though I am breathing pretty hard). My legs just feel so weak. When I was nearly back home I felt like I was going to collapse, not from exhaustion but from weakness. The other problem is that my legs are the strongest and most muscular part of my body. So what am I doing wrong? Should I eat more carbs (ate 146 out of my allotted 296 yesterday)? Am I not drinking enough water (drank a huge glass before the run and my entire water bottle during)?

Replies

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You're going to have your ups & downs as you progress. I don't drink a lot right before I run. Hydration needs to be done in advance. For me, I'll get up, have a protein shake & a bottle of water or two, then wait for 30 minutes or so before I get ready to run. Then I'll have a small cup of water about 10 minutes before I run & I'll chew a piece of gum right before I run. Also, an extra day off every now & then doesn't hurt, because you may have been tired from something you did the day before.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down a bit. That should do the trick.
  • KathyMarie1970
    KathyMarie1970 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated. You have to build up endurance and that takes time. I had this happen a lot during c25k. Just mark it as a success, enjoy your rest day, and keep a positive attitude for your next run. Not every run is a good run. Some of them are just miserable and I question my sanity!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    All runners have bad days. When I was running there were days I would have a great time, feel great after the run and enjoy. Every once and a while I would do the same route and the run just totally sucked. I felt winded, I couldn't get my stride and it was not fun. It happens. Don't worry about this run and make the next great. :smile:
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give both a try. I drank right before I ran so I'll try to wait next time around. I also did some rebounding and strength training yesterday and my legs were on fire afterwards. I'll also try slowing up some... I noticed I was going faster than my snail's pace today, haha. :)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    running has its good days and its bad days. could be a number of factors.....hydration, nutrition, mental, stress/exhaustion, etc. Don't get discouraged, rest up, and be ready to hit the next day of C25k with a vengeance!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, all runners have good and bad days. You could also just be tired/worn out if you did a rigorous weight lifting routine the day before. I'm not familiar with the program you're doing but be sure to give your body time to recover. I've noticed my best runs are often when I haven't been out for a few days.
  • PandaCustard
    Options
    Yes, all runners have good and bad days. You could also just be tired/worn out if you did a rigorous weight lifting routine the day before. I'm not familiar with the program you're doing but be sure to give your body time to recover. I've noticed my best runs are often when I haven't been out for a few days.

I usually do it three days a week. The last two it's been Monday-Wednesday-Friday, and this week it's been Tuesday-Thursday so far. Think I should slip in one extra rest day this week?
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If I drink too much water, I'm done before I start!
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If your run sucks, that means you're doing it right. I hate running. I do it alot for the positive effects (and that it's mandatory for me), but I don't have to like it.

On a serious note, some days just suck. No rhyme or reason. Keep at it.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Similar things have happened to me working through a similar program. I actually made my 6 week program a 12 week program and just repeated each week two times before moving to the next because I wasn't sure how my quickly my fitness would improve. Whenever I had crappy days like this, I just made sure to maintain the cardio workout for the full time by slowing the pace or switching to walking at a faster pace or even biking. One other thing that I did that made a big difference for me was concentrate on strengthening my legs early in the program for 3 days a week - leg curls, squats with medicine ball, and lunges. Now, some days I will go into the gym feeling like the run is going to suck before I get started, but then it turns out great or the other way around.

Good luck.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    we all have bad runs. i find im at my best early morning weekends. im well rested & my mind is mostly clear. those days, i feel as if i could run forever.

happy running!
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Some runs suck. They suck because of what you ate (or didn't), what you drank (or didn't), how you slept (or didn't sleep), how stressed (or not stressed) you are, how hot (or cold) it is, whether Jupiter is in alignment with the sun (or the moon's cycle or possibly the distance of the earth from the sun), and sometimes, runs suck because it's Thursday and Thursday is a sketchy day at best.

It doesn't mean you've done something wrong, it means that one of your runs sucked. Don't look at an individual instance and assume you've done something wrong. Look for a trend.
  • PandaCustard
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement, everyone. It means a lot. I've *never* been a runner before (minus running some in soccer when I was 8 and the couple of laps we did when I was in karate) so this is a whole new world for me. I definitely won't quit at this point... I don't remember the last time I was able to go so far. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds like you brought your body to the point of exhaustion. I'd say your doing it right!!!

your legs will get better, don't worry.
    and as was stated, if you need to slow down, do it.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    All runners experience bad runs. Its a reality that we all share. Put in perspective, its bad runs that make those great runs special.

If you are only running every other day, I wouldn't add any more rest days but rather examine possible other reasons for having had a bad day.

Did you have a bad lunch day? Not enough protein? Too much protein? Upset stomach? Didn't sleep well? Life happens.

In the same vane, examine the reasons to run. Life Happens, and the stress relief and endorphins released by running will leave you better equipped to handle the negative aspects. I find I am an immensely more positive person when I can squeeze in those runs. Did you know that runners live on average 7 years longer than people who don't run? That number increases greatly when its you, a non runner and a grizzly :laugh:

Keep it fresh... try not to run the same route every time out. A change of scenery is often helpful in keeping you motivated. This is the very reason I can't run on a treadmill... it's boring. Some of my best runs are those that add an element of adventure (i.e. running up Johnson Canyon near Jasper was one of my favorite runs... challenging and the wilderness was breathtaking)

Run with a friend... if you can't find a friend to run with, consider Run Clubs at your local running store. Running can be a great social experience and gives you someone to talk with. It's great therapy. In Canada, Running Room has a free run club on Wednesdays and Sundays. Everyone is welcome! I believe most chain running stores offer similar programs as well.

Never be discouraged by what you have done... at least you have had the strength to do it. Take a few minutes, examine your reasons for a bad run, and then discard the negative aspect because it's all behind you. Remember, you've still run further than that person who has never left the couch.

Keep it up! Running is awesome and so are you for trying!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    in my experience, some days running 7 miles is easy peasy. And other days, running just one is brutal. I don't know why this happens. I bet there's a lot of factors. I just chalk it up to that's how it is.
  • ceejanerun
    ceejanerun Posts: 10
    Options
    Years ago, I read an article about running - it said for every 5 runs, one will be fantastic; three will be ho-hum ok; and one will really suck. Hey, if it were easy, don't you think everyone would be out running 5k's?!

And I second the recommendation to slow down. Most new runners miss the mark on pacing, heading out way too fast. At this point, it isn't about speed, it's about building endurance. The speed will come after your body is used to the 5k.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest slowing down. Likewise, I will echo many others by saying we all have very bad running days. That is typical for runners of every level.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I second slowing down. I'd also add that I've been running for 15 years and some runs are just bad for no discernible reason! You have to put it behind you and move on.

If you find the whole of this week on C25K tough, there's no reason why you can't repeat it, then the next step up will feel that much easier.