foolling "starvation mode"

Options
Ok, here's my question...
What if I eat less than my recommended 1200 calories every other day? Would that still send me into starvation mode? I am wondering if I eat say 800 one day and then 1200 the next, 700 the next and say 1300 the following day? Does that confuse the body into not going into starvation mode? I have read that some people say this works best for weight loss, but is it really worth trying or is it just plain stupid?

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    The jury is out,,, I think it seems to work for some people and not for others.

Google "zigzag diet" or "zig zag diet". There's lotsa info out there.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I say, how would you fit all of your daily nutrional needs into 700 calories, and how much energy would you have?
  • twilight1542
    Options
    My vote is for "just plain silly". Your body is a machine & needs fuel to keep it going. I have been eating 1200 cals + some exercise calories for the past 13 weeks and have lost 37lbs, which works out to an average of 2+lbs per week. Sure I have days where I'm over or under calories, but I never feel starved. So my question is why starve yourself & risk starvation mode. The goal here is not dieting or quick weight loss. The goal is to be healthy & keep the weight off. Sure it could take longer,but do you want speed or do you want to keep the weight off for the rest of your life?
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have read in a recent women's health magazine that it's not a good idea to do the zig zag because it can slow your metabolism down. I would do research on it.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Zigzagging is one technique to break a plateau. The consensus seems to be that over the long haul you should still add up to pretty close to your standard calorie deficit level.

So if your level is 1200 you would maybe do

M-1200
    T-1000
    W-1500
    TH-1200
    F-1100
    Sat-1000
    Sun-1200

Same calories at the end of the week, but a zigzag to shock the metab.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    My vote is for "just plain silly". Your body is a machine & needs fuel to keep it going.

i must agree with twilight. the thought of keeping your body functioning on only 700 calories is ridiculous.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find myself low, but not 700 low, and I just grab something little to keep myself healthy. Starvation Mode can take years to correct, and I speak from experience!
  • momma2boys0609
    Options
    My vote is for "just plain silly". Your body is a machine & needs fuel to keep it going. I have been eating 1200 cals + some exercise calories for the past 13 weeks and have lost 37lbs, which works out to an average of 2+lbs per week. Sure I have days where I'm over or under calories, but I never feel starved. So my question is why starve yourself & risk starvation mode. The goal here is not dieting or quick weight loss. The goal is to be healthy & keep the weight off. Sure it could take longer,but do you want speed or do you want to keep the weight off for the rest of your life?

WoW! That is amazing! 37lbs in 13 weeks. What type of exercise are you doing and how do you handle cravings?
  • twilight1542
    Options

WoW! That is amazing! 37lbs in 13 weeks. What type of exercise are you doing and how do you handle cravings?

You have to keep in mind that I have a lot of weight to lose, which makes it easier to get big numbers in the beginning : )

I typically work out 7 days a week, with rare exceptions of 1 day a week. I do a minimum of 30 mins--on days when I work late--an average of 1 hour, and sometimes upwards of 1.5-2 hrs. I primarily do cardio (elliptical (3 different kinds), stairclimber, and treadmill--only if I feel up to walk/run intervals. I take classes when they fit my schedule and also do strength training--anywhere from 1 - 3 times a week. I try to alternate between the different machines so that I keep my body guessing. Also, somedays I'll split up the hour between the machines (ex: 45-elliptical & 15 treadmill) and other days I'll do an hour on 1 machine. If I do more than 1 hour it is always 2 or more machines or one machine and strength training.

I don't have many cravings : ) My problem has always been liquid calories (soda & coffee) and eating too little. So over the first month I worked down to only 1 coffee a day and a soda every few days. So no when I really want a soda I'll have one if I have the calories remaining. As for food, I occassionally have sweets cravings so I usually keep a king-sized bag of reese's pieces around and I'll have 1/4 of the bag OR I'll make 1/2 of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    My vote is for "just plain silly". Your body is a machine & needs fuel to keep it going.

i must agree with twilight. the thought of keeping your body functioning on only 700 calories is ridiculous.
    agreed... that's WAY too low!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There's really no need to 'fool' it if you consistently eat enough to maintain a MODEST deficit, take rest days, occasionally eat maintenance calories, and stay active.

This is a lot easier than people make it out to be. It just takes time and hard work.
  • momma2boys0609
    Options

You have to keep in mind that I have a lot of weight to lose, which makes it easier to get big numbers in the beginning : )

I typically work out 7 days a week, with rare exceptions of 1 day a week. I do a minimum of 30 mins--on days when I work late--an average of 1 hour, and sometimes upwards of 1.5-2 hrs. I primarily do cardio (elliptical (3 different kinds), stairclimber, and treadmill--only if I feel up to walk/run intervals. I take classes when they fit my schedule and also do strength training--anywhere from 1 - 3 times a week. I try to alternate between the different machines so that I keep my body guessing. Also, somedays I'll split up the hour between the machines (ex: 45-elliptical & 15 treadmill) and other days I'll do an hour on 1 machine. If I do more than 1 hour it is always 2 or more machines or one machine and strength training.

I don't have many cravings : ) My problem has always been liquid calories (soda & coffee) and eating too little. So over the first month I worked down to only 1 coffee a day and a soda every few days. So no when I really want a soda I'll have one if I have the calories remaining. As for food, I occassionally have sweets cravings so I usually keep a king-sized bag of reese's pieces around and I'll have 1/4 of the bag OR I'll make 1/2 of a peanut butter & jelly sandwich!

Thanks for your respionce. I will keep that in mind whe planning my exercise schedule after I graduate LPN school in 3 weeks!!! :) Congratulations on the weight loss thus far. That is amazing!!!