What motivated you to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    The short version, I looked in the mirror and decided I was done being the fat girl with the cute face.

+1
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor and found out I had gained 6 pounds after convincing myself that I felt skinnier and must have lost weight. Yeah, no. I came home, told my husband I was fat and did something about it.
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I don't want loose weight. That's just squishy fat separated in my body, lol. I do want to lose weight though! :wink:
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    1. Doc said I was officially a diabetic & needed meds .....

2. Had a pix taken with my daughter & didn't recognize myself .....

That was 3 years ago ..... now I'm off the meds ..... and I don't mind having a picture taken now :drinker:
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I discovered I was 79 kilos and was desperate not to reach 80. So I gave a half-a***d attempt at losing weight then came across MFP and realised it actually WAS possible to lose weight and finally started taking it seriously!!
  • deltazee1983
    Options
    I'm so glad to read all of this. I'm notorious for saying I need to loose weight and then I go and eat whatever I want and do nothing else to help loose the weight. Reading all of these posts make me realize that you are all just like me. I'm at my heaviest weight ever right now 212 and I it feels awful. How do you stay motivated?

13960250.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I grew up an athlete and stayed @ 185 lbs with 10% body fat. 4 kids later and 30 years old I sat on the beach in Cancun pushing 300 lbs. I wasn't worried about the weight and felt quite comfortable. I water ski and jet ski 7 days a week. Play softball etc. The next year I started waking up in the middle of the night b/c my feet would fall asleep. I figured I was probably sleeping with my feet crossed and cut off the circulation. The one day my thumb started to get numb. My cholesterol was 450 + and blood pressure through the roof. I got scared that I was on the verge of having a stroke. That was April 2008. I never saw a doctor or nutritionist. I did my own research and changed my entire lifestyle. In September 2008 I was down to 175 lbs and felt like a crackhead. So I switched gears and put on 25 lbs of muscle. My primary motivation was to be able to enjoy my kids youth and watch them grow up and be able to be active with them. I was an engineer at the time. I have since then changed careers to Nutrition Science and Fitness so I can help others avoid (or turn around) what I went through.
  • xiaxiong09
    xiaxiong09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Funniest story ever. Since giving birth to my son 15 months ago, I keep telling myself, "it's ok, I'll lose the babyweight" and "I'm still young, I have time", and "It's not even THAT bad of a weightgain" and so on and so forth. I didn't even realize how horrible my weight gain was until a couple weeks ago.

My cousins came to party with us and we went downtown. They brought alot of cameras and that night alot of pictures were taken! When I saw the pictures I had thought that there had to have been something wrong with their cameras because there was NO WAY I was that fat. But I look at the other people in the pictures with me and they looks pretty normal.. so it was true. That was when something snapped in me and I just knew I had to get on a diet and be SERIOUS about it this time. It's been Two weeks since my diet and logging onto MFP every day and I have gone from 171 to 165. I am 5'2. It's a great start and I don't plan to stop til I reach my goal of 135. I CAN DO IT!! And so can everyone else one here! GOOD LUCK! Add me if you need motivation like I do. =]
  • SuperMuna
    SuperMuna Posts: 1
    Options
    Clothes.

Lots of nice clothes I want to wear but can't.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When my mom said, "I've never seen you this heavy before" and my "husband" (soon-to-be-ex) called me a fat wh**e.

Along with the red stretch mark that was showing up on my love handle... WHERE DID YOU COME FROM!?
  • mfoster1019
    mfoster1019 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    my sister's wedding. i had been trying to lose weight already (on my own with no success) and then she decided to move the wedding up and make me the matron of honor. knew i had to do something! i owe this all to her getting married!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I knew if I didn't turn my life around that I was digging myself an early grave. Good thing I dug in deep and got serious as half way through my weight loss journey I learned I had a narrowing in a major artery of my heart and I was well on my way to a heart attack. I'll never go back to the person I was before.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I wanted to LOSE weight when I realized that I hadn't been to the doctor in years only because I didn't want him to see how much I gained... not just because of my hectic college and now graduate/full-time working schedule.
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can't really say on a public forum what one of the main reasons were, but another was looking in the mirror and seeing how bad I truly looked. Even now, I'm the same way. I've only lost 22 pounds, but I'm getting there! :D I know I'm already beginning to look better though.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I was coerced - er, strongly encouraged - by my wife to join a "Biggest Loser" contest with her and a couple of cousins.

I wiped the floor with 'em and kept on going!
  • xiaxiong09
    xiaxiong09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to read all of this. I'm notorious for saying I need to loose weight and then I go and eat whatever I want and do nothing else to help loose the weight. Reading all of these posts make me realize that you are all just like me. I'm at my heaviest weight ever right now 212 and I it feels awful. How do you stay motivated?

This is also an issue of mine and what I find motivates me is taking a FULL body picture and looking at it when I find myself wanting to gorge down everything in my path. I guess its different for everyone but this works for me. I am at my heaviest now at 5'2 and 168 lbs. Also logging onto MFP everyday and logging everything I eat helps ALOT. I wish you luck! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • msleesha
    msleesha Posts: 39
    Options
    Well there are several different things that motivated me to lose the weight. My first sign that ignored was my hunny telling me that I was getting heavy, but of course I didn't want to hear that from him so I ignored him and kept moving on. My next sign was when I went clothes shopping and couldn't fit a size 16 and was uncomfortable in a size 18. It was at that point where it was starting to really set in. Then my biggest motivation was when I went home for a family gathering and on my way back to Dallas my father called me and had a very long talk with me about my weight. I could tell in his voice that he was very concerned with the amoutn of weight that I had put on and when he told me that he would do anything to help me become healthier then I was ready to get started. (My sister and mother would always say something to me, but when you hear it from the same person all the time you ignore it- at least for me). Hearing it from my father really made me realize that I needed to do something asap. The next day I went to my doctor to get all my blood tests ran and to get on a diet plan quickly. Long story to short, I lost about 46 pounds with her, blood work came back great (like a baby as she says- THANK GOD because we have so many health issues in our family) and she released me from her care. I gained about 10lbs back during the summer and thats when I took it upon myself to find my second family (TUF)- gym I workout at where I got help from almost everyone. The nutritionist set me up with my goals and caloric intake, I have a trainer and I take boot camp classes. Never in a million years did I ever think I would be successful at my weight loss. I have lost more than I expected, down to a size 12 and lost over 15% body fat and loving it! I joined MFP after starting at the gym. I am a runner now, despite my minor injury to my ankle right now, but I am determined to get back and be stronger. Now, I am helping a close friend start her journey on MFP and to make sure she stays on track and is successful.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I realized I had that cow stomach thing going on.. you know, the stomach under the stomach that looks like utters or something :noway:
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    <--- There's a picture of my motivation right over there. :happy:
  • chelleRmcgrath
    Options
    A number of things but the main one was I got divorced.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!