Heart Rate Monitor- Calories

Options
Hello! So I was wondering, when I'm tracking my workout calories from my HRM, do I subtract anything from it? For example the portion of my BMR calories for that hour? Or just ignore it? Any help would be great!

Replies

• chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I'm not sure what you're asking, but hopefully someone else does :)
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    I would think that the Heart Rate Monitor would be able to tell if your Heart Rate was at a Resting point and account for that. :)
  • Tanisse
    Tanisse Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor that I bought at Walmart for 59.99 and it comes with a watch and chest strap. I logged my height weight, age and sex, and when my calories are logged on my watch I don't subract anything. I just log it on MFP. I don't know the abreviations for BMR you are using. But I hope this helps.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    no (I think I understand what you are trying to ask), just log the calories/time your HRM gives you, and eat back most/all of your exercise calories.
  • k8ermarie
    k8ermarie Posts: 204
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor that I bought at Walmart for 59.99 and it comes with a watch and chest strap. I logged my height weight, age and sex, and when my calories are logged on my watch I don't subract anything. I just log it on MFP. I don't know the abreviations for BMR you are using. But I hope this helps.
    BMR = Basic Metabolic Rate

It's basically your heart rate resting point. :) Good post tho!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options

So Walmart has HRM with chest straps, huh? Been looking for one a little cheaper than Polar.
  • babesintow
    babesintow Posts: 59
    Options
    Hello! So I was wondering, when I'm tracking my workout calories from my HRM, do I subtract anything from it? For example the portion of my BMR calories for that hour? Or just ignore it? Any help would be great!

I asked that same question to one of the trainers at my gym....if this monitor accounts for you age weight and sex...I was told to expect up to a 20% error rate. If you are a beginner it is unlikely your burning all of the calories that the monitor states and the same goes for those that have been training for sometime. It is more accurate for those in the middle.
    I would also consider how much are you sweating and how do you feel when your finished. When I started I wasn't sweating as much as I am now. When I punch in my calories I shave 10% off of what my HRM says. The trainer also mentioned that I should leave an error rate in tracking my calories, given that when eating out the people preparing your meal are not measuring as carefully as we would at home.

I am burning over 1000 calories doing circuit training at the gym...if you are looking for a high calorie burn that includes weight training
  • successleadstosuccess
    successleadstosuccess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will keep everything in mind! I would say I'm in the middle right now, so I'm going to just track it, eat the calories and see how that goes!