Egg Noodles as an Alternative to Traditional Pasta

Options
I just tried egg noodles for the first time, and I wanted to share my excitement. My husband and I both love pasta, and we made it very often pre-diet because it's quick and easy. We've been trying to stay away because it's so high calorie that we can only eat a small amount to stay within our daily calorie goal. I found egg noodles while looking for a lower calorie alternative, but I was skeptical about the taste. We just put them in a chicken parmesan pasta we make all the time, and they tasted great. I couldn't tell a difference in taste. The only difference was that they were slightly more firm than regular pasta (which I liked), but you could cook them longer to make them softer. The best part is that I was able to eat double the amount of egg noodles compared to regular noodles for the same amount of calories (1.5 cups as opposed to 3/4 cup for about 210 calories). I guess you could eat the same 3/4 cup portion size to save half the calories, but I got carried away. :) Anyway, I just wanted to share in case there are any other frustrated pasta lovers out there.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to burst your bubble, but did you weigh your noodles?

Both "traditional" pasta (semolina) and egg noodles are about 220 calories per cup, or 150 calories for 100 grams (cooked). There might be a margin of ten calories or so.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above, the same calories as pasta PLUS more fat and cholesterol. Make sure you measure carefully!
  • MrsPoodles
    MrsPoodles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This may be really dense, but I'm not sure I understand. I bought the dumpling egg noodles, which are about the same size as bowtie pasta. The serving size on the package was listed as 1.5 cups and 210 calories for that serving compared to a serving size of 3/4 cup for the other pasta. I didn't weigh the pasta, but I used the same dry measuring cup I used to measure my bowtie pasta last time I made it. I know this isn't the best way to measure these things, but I did use the same thing to measure both so I don't see how the measurement would be off considering the two noodles were about the same size and shape. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    This may be really dense, but I'm not sure I understand. I bought the dumpling egg noodles, which are about the same size as bowtie pasta. The serving size on the package was listed as 1.5 cups and 210 calories for that serving compared to a serving size of 3/4 cup for the other pasta. I didn't weigh the pasta, but I used the same dry measuring cup I used to measure my bowtie pasta last time I made it. I know this isn't the best way to measure these things, but I did use the same thing to measure both so I don't see how the measurement would be off considering the two noodles were about the same size and shape. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I don't think you're being dense or stupid at all. IIRC, the dumpling ones (is it the Amish-looking packaging?) are in fact a little lower in calories, but I still am not sure where you are getting the 3/4 cup measurement for regular pasta from. Regular pasta is 220 (or 210, whatever) for *approximately* a cup cooked. I emphasize the approximate because for certain things -- pasta included -- it's really difficult to get an accurate measurement unless you weigh. I count peanut butter in that category as well.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It isn't a stupid question but does prove the importance of measuring by weight, not volume!

I Googled it because I didn't know what a dumpling egg noodle was. It looks like it is this: http://creamette.newworldpasta.com/pasta_nutrition.cfm?prodId=00151000012800FM00

The egg noodles are 210 calories for 2 ounces, dry/uncooked (per the label).

This is the nutrition for Barilla pasta - the ziti shape but they are all roughly the same:
    http://www.barillaus.com/content/prodottobarilla/ziti

Pasta is 200 calories for 2 ounces dry/uncooked
  • MrPoodles
    MrPoodles Posts: 1
    Options
    I've seen the serving size vary from 3/4 cup to 1 cup for pasta based on the type (shape) of the noodles, but that could just be the brand I have. I agree that it's hard to get a true measurement, so I try to always "round-up" to give myself some leeway. I should probably invest in a scale though.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize my husband left his account up before I responded. The above is a response from MrsPoodles.