strength training for runners — need suggestions.

lamerek
lamerek Posts: 18 Member
I am sporadic at best with strength training and really need to add it in and make it a regular part of my workout routine.

Currently I do: some Pilates (the 100, and about 5 other core moves), some planks (side and regular), push-ups
I also do a few yoga moves to keep my body happy.

I'm looking for suggestions of strength training moves for my core and upper body (I build lower body strength, it seems, without even trying). Preferably the moves/routine would be w/o circuit or free weights or any equipment. But, if I need to ramp it up with equipment, I can do it. I've just been resistant!

Bring on the suggestions (and motivation is always welcome, too!)!

TIA!
Kate.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Since it seems like you are new to strength training, look up bodyweight exercises or bodyweight training. There are a ton of exercises that can be done with bodyweight only and minimal equipment.

You also want to do moves for both upper and lower body equally.. if you don't then you run the risk of looking imbalanced, and getting injured.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Kate - take a look at my last few days of workouts. Today was all core work. Yesterday was more of a non-traditional upper body day. Tomorrow is upper body weights. I had double leg surgery about 2 weeks ago, and can't run, elliptical, or do any lower body lifting for at least 3 more weeks...so some of my workouts might be right up your alley. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

For the record, I've designed these myself (and no I'm not just a wack-job that thinks I know everything). I have my degree in sports medicine and work as a certified athletic trainer. So, I don't have to think that I know everything...I know that I know it! lol