HRM Suggestions

The more I get into running, the more I am considering purchasing a HRM. Do you use one, and if so, is it beneficial to you? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!! :)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I do use one for all my DVD workouts, for running and walking - I love it! I love having a better idea of what I'm actually burning during those exercises rather than just estimates from MFP or an app.

I have a New Balance N4 and I love it. After doing my research I was going for either a New Balance or a Polar, and since money is tight, I turned to eBay & looked for auctions that had new items. I put both models on my watchlist, but the New Balance came up first & I got it for a great price.

Both are also available in stores and from Amazon and other online sources. Do your homework, check out user reviews here and on Amazon, and make sure you get one with a chest strap! :smile:
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Thanks Amy!
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    I'd recommend the Polar. Quite a few options, from basic to extreme.

I personally use the H7 (which is just a chest strap monitor, no watch) linked to my iPhone via the Digifit app. That's the big benefit for me. Digifit links to Fitbit, which links to MFP & sends calorie adjustments (that include the HRM-monitored activities) based on my activity levels. I set my activity profile to sedentary on MFP & let Fitbit adjust it on the fly.

So yes, I have one, I use one, I'd recommend using one. :)
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    I have the Polar FT7. I've been using it religiously since mid-April and I LOVE IT. I got it for about $75 on Amazon and it's worth every penny - there are more expensive models but everything I read, it seemed it was just more bells & whistles and not necessary extras, but to each their own!

In any case - I feel that it has helped a great deal in keeping me active. I like knowing what I'm burning and I strive to go the distance just to see if I can. I also feel MUCH more confident logging my exercise and knowing actual numbers rather than guesstimating.

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Thaks guys for the responses!

Any other recommendations out there??
  • MorissaW
    MorissaW Posts: 95 Member
    I am a Polar FT7 fan. It is easy to program and one you do there is nothing else to do really.
    It keeps track of your workouts in a log, which I love. Sometimes I forget to log my workouts right away and I can go back and look at them.
    I found mine on Craigslist for $50.