beach safety

Options
I am not sure what it would be called or if I will have to make it my self. I am taking my children (3 and 4) to the beach next month. I want something to secure around my wrist and their wrist that will make us attached. We will be in the ocean ( although not very deep) so I don't want them to float away. I would also use it for walking around when we are sight seeing. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I don't want a cute animal harness because it will bet wet.

Replies

• SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious...your kids are not going to float away! Chances are a shark will come by and take a nibble, which in case, the harness really wouldn't help a whole lot.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    We will be in the ocean ( although not very deep) so I don't want them to float away.

:laugh:

Sorry, that made me laugh.

Just keep an eye on them, easy enough.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    How about a boat buoy or fender?
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You could buy one of those child leashes lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    fill their diapers with rocks
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Aside from my aversion to people putting leashes on their children...... This could be very dangerous in the water, it is very easy to get tangled up in something like what your describing, which poses additional injury and drowning hazard (former life guard here) Plus if your children are small enough that you are considering leashing them to you, they are small enough that you should not be out in the water past getting their feet wet unless you are holding onto them.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    really????? If it is THAT much of a concern, perhaps you should just stay home..........
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    so I don't want them to float away.
    I understand what you're trying to say. The current can have them drift from you since they're so small. I'm picturing a velcro bracelet with a string attached. Kinda like what you'd have attached to your boogie board to keep it from doing the same thing. You might have to make it yourself, though. Try to have fun. Taking mine to the beach when they were little was always stressful for me.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hahahaha This can't be serious...is it? You mean Floatation devices? You should tie them to a Dolphin. I heard they are kid friendly and will defend off sharks.
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    How about a boat buoy or fender?

My daughter called buoys "bewbies" the other day... lol "Dad, Dad, take me out to touch the bewbies"
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what it would be called or if I will have to make it my self. I am taking my children (3 and 4) to the beach next month. I want something to secure around my wrist and their wrist that will make us attached. We will be in the ocean ( although not very deep) so I don't want them to float away. I would also use it for walking around when we are sight seeing. Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I don't want a cute animal harness because it will bet wet.

l1l3o.gif
  • macpatti
    Options
    hahahaha This can't be serious...is it? You mean Floatation devices?
    I don't think she's looking for floatation devices. Seemed to me that she was looking for something to keep them attached to her so they wouldn't drift with the current. But, that's just how I read it anyway.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Just find the creepiest old dude on the beach.
    Leave them with him and enjoy yourself...problem solved.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Looked it up online and found "Child Safety Wrist Link". It's got a velcro bracelet for your wrist and theirs and is connected with a cord. I'd take the advice of the life guard above who suggested you be careful with them getting tangled. Doesn't look like that can happen, but be careful.

Also, I wouldn't "find the creepiest old dude on the beach" to babysit them! :wink:
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Why are you giving yourself work?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Also, I wouldn't "find the creepiest old dude on the beach" to babysit them! :wink:

wilsondm1604_228x256.jpg
  • macpatti
    Options
    If your kids are 3 and 4 they are probably not amazing swimmers so you are probably not going to take them out in water that is over there head....therefore they will be able to touch the bottom so they will not float away....
    I wish there was a class to teach common sense.....maybe some day *eye roll*
    Okay, genius......anyone who knows much about being at the beach knows that the current can have you drift even in water where you can touch bottom. Even if you're just sitting in water where your butt touches bottom, you can drift. *eye roll* back at the people who want to ridicule others but end up looking like @sses themselves.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You could buy one of those child leashes lol.

Definitely the way to go. Totally okay, and not embarassing at all to tether children like pets.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options

l1l3o.gif

:heart:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Why are you giving yourself work?

Gotta make a living......