question about net calories

i found out that i am eating too little, i have been eating 1200 calories a day and burning off 300.
what should my net be if i am trying to lose weight? (1-1.5 lbs per week)

Replies

• WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    need more info.
    Age, height, weight?
    http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee
    go here and fill it in- then based on your activity level, eat that many calories.
    less than 1200 is not good.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Based on your picture, more likely 1/2 to 1 lb per week (which means eating back exercise calories. But as WEB said, we need more information.. Not only age, height and weight, but daily activity level and exercise routine.
  • i have already lost 40 lbs..... i just havent lost any since march because i was maintaining. now im trying to lose again before august rolls around. i need a "refresher" if you will.
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    <1200 is fine if you're getting nutrients. Anyone that wants to say you can't lose weight with under that should check my diary and a lot of other people's.. Overweight people don't have to worry about "starvation mode". There's lots of arguments on that topic on these boards and I'm not trying to start one here, just saying <1200 is fine.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    <1200 is fine if you're getting nutrients. Anyone that wants to say you can't lose weight with under that should check my diary and a lot of other people's.. Overweight people don't have to worry about "starvation mode". There's lots of arguments on that topic on these boards and I'm not trying to start one here, just saying <1200 is fine.

The argument is never that you won't lose, the bigger argument is that you will lose muscle. And losing a lot of muscle harms long term results as well as makes it harder for you to have definition. At some point, you can't do the 1200 calorie thing. Also, why would you want to? I eat 2600s and I am cutting fat consistently.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    bump