Confidence and nice clothes

Options
I was overweight for most of my teenage and adult life which resulted in me wearing shapeless baggy black clothes - even in the summer as i felt too self-concious.

I have now lost quite a lot of weight and the first thing i wanted to do is to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe of nice trendy clothes. However this has not happened as i still feel as shy as when i was a lot bigger :blushing:

The thought of wearing anything that shows i actually have legs and arms scares the hell out of me lol let alone anything more revealing :laugh:

Has this happened to anyone else? I really feel like i should be embracing my new life and body but i can't.....

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I still have a hard time picturing that I'm a smaller person. But I love to shop, so buying smaller clothes isn't a chore for me.

My advice for you though:
    Take it slow! Buy a few bright colored accessories - maybe some earrings, a necklace or a scarf. Start wearing those to get used to color and the attention it can bring.
    Then, buy a pair of jeans or capris that fit you well. Ask a friend or family member to help and take a range of sizes into the dressing room with you. Buy the pair that actually fits - not the pair that's a little too big.
    Next, slowly add shirts with color and pattern to your wardrobe, along with other basic pants in neutral colors (tan, brown, navy, etc).

Congratulations on your loss - that's so great!!!
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yep, sure was/is scary as hell. People only noticed that I was slender when I started wearing sizes that fit. Since I started here I've lost like 10 pounds but I went from size 8-10 to 4-6...so now the clothes that fit have shape built into them...it's really fun to try them on in the store, but to actually WEAR them in PUBLIC?!? It's taken about a month to get used to the idea that I am smaller, but I made the decision to buy only clothes that fit, and the challenge has been very rewarding. I also suggest taking it slow, cause the attention can be a bit overwhelming specially if you are not wanting lots of attention. You've worked hard, you deserve to feel like a million! Wear your size tomorrow.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    It's funny for me because I initally got the fire to loose weight over my frustration with clothes. At the time, I had to wear nice, dressy clothes for work and was just so frustrated, constantly, over clothes and the way that I looked..... now that I am a stay at home mom and my clothes size is literally 1/2 that size........ I wear soild colored v-neck t's and bermuda shorts almost every day. Seriously, it's like my uniform. I adore clothes, shopping, etc but I have NO IDEA what looks good on me and what I can wear right now. I went to the mall for a few hours last weekend and left without anything. I'm clueless. Clothes become a lot more complicated when you don't just have to cover up your squish.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Before this summer the last time I wore a dress was 1996.
    I lost 3 stone over time but still wouldn't show my body off and wore baggy clothes like you.
    I've lost 2 more stone on MFP (put a bit back on but it's going again!! I am determined)
    This year My brother has got married, I am my sister's brides maid and so I've been wearing dresses and heels!!
    I've had so many compliments you wouldn't believe and I sometimes think they are just being nice but I'm starting to believe them now.

Be brave!
    You can.
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to know i'm not alone.

Like trophywife i feel like i'm absolutely cluesless when it comes to fashion and what looks good on me. It's so tempting to keep buying bigger clothes for comfort but at the same time i'm chomping at the bit to look as nice and as smart as my friends.

I suddenly feel really feminine and want to start experimenting more with make-up and hairstyles but because i've never bothered in the past as i didn't feel like i was worth looking good and dressing up, i really haven't a clue what to do lol :blushing:

I also have a tough time knowing what to say back to people now they have started complimenting me. I kinda mumble "thanks" and feel all silly and embarassed. Guess i'm not used to that!

Maybe taking baby steps is the answer as someone suggested. Right i've decided, i'm going shopping at the weekend and i'm going to buy a couple of clothes that actually fit me and show some curves :happy:
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Maybe taking baby steps is the answer as someone suggested. Right i've decided, i'm going shopping at the weekend and i'm going to buy a couple of clothes that actually fit me and show some curves :happy:

Show us the pics!
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Show us the pics!

Lol maybe after a couple of beers i may post a pic hehe
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! Just trying on cute things is fun! You've worked hard, now play.
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I find that even though I'm buying the sizes that fit me, I'm still looking at the same styles that I wore when I was heavier. Now I'm making it a point to try on things that I would have never worn before I lost weight, and I've been surprised by how nice they look. You have a whole new body to dress, so experiment and have fun with it!