NSV - Managed to fight off the urge to binge for once!

Options
flisafakto
flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
I had a terrible day at work (on top of general PMS insanity), so on my way home I followed my messed up instincts and went to the grocery store, all ready to have a massive "let's eat all those feelings and see if they go away!" binge. While there I realized that doing so would only make me feel worse. So I left the store with only a single portion bag of rice cakes and some dignity.

Thankfully I didn't come across anything too yummy while I was at the store. Binges are definitely my ultimate biggest struggle with weight loss. For so long, I've been reacting to every strong feeling by eating! Even joyous events are celebrated with food, but for me it's especially bad with stress, depression or even just fatigue. Also I'm rubbish at keeping to a food plan, cause if by the time dinner rolls by and I've had the impulse to eat/make/buy something else, I just don't know how to fight that impulse. SO HARD!

Anyway, I'm very pleased that I managed to fight off the urge to binge today. I even went for a jog later on in the evening! TAKE THAT, MESSED UP INSTINCTS!

Replies

• zaftigal
    zaftigal Posts: 6
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    I need that kind of will power, I'm holding myself back from great results because of my binges...I could be soooo much further by now.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Great job on denying that binge! You did it!
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Takes Allllot of mind power to fend off the urge to eat the feelings. Good for you strong lady. Overcoming binge eating is (for me) one of the more empowering things to accomplish. Just reaffirms how you CAN control yourself and your not helpless to such strong evil emotions,

AWESOME :)
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. Going for a jog was definitely a good idea. Soon you'll want to binge exercise all those stressful feelings away - which then just leads to you feeling awesome.
  • ashleyfs200
    Options
    Great job! That's sooo hard to do!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Awesome, just really awesome. The great thing is now your on your way to not even having cravings. Just the fighting it helps to curb future binges/cravings. Congratulations
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!
    I need that kind of will power, I'm holding myself back from great results because of my binges...I could be soooo much further by now.

Binges are very destructive for my weight loss too. I've been looking over my weekly calorie intake lately and I can see that while I do well on most days, my binges are so bad that they ruin my weekly average! This is the very first time I've been able to fight off a binge like that, my last one was just this past Monday!

I hope knowing I managed to fight it off once, will help me find the strength to fight it off the next time!
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I know about this. Along the way I discovered that I have a compulsive over eating disorder that caused problems for me. I spent years in therapy and working with a nutritionist to get me to this point of working on losing my "protection" and not turning to food and actually feeling my feelings instead of stuffing them. I hope you can get the help you need too. Good for you for not giving in and going for a jog. Keep up the good work.

Rebecca
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I used to have a big problem with binging to push away my feelings. I finally realized that the food wasn't helping anything; in fact, it was making things worse because I was self-sabotaging all of my weight loss efforts. Something finally went off in my brain and I no longer resort to food when I'm emotional about something. You will reach that point if you stick with this, promise. Sounds like you are very close. Good luck!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    You did AWESOME!! And I bet you feel empowered! :happy:
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful feeling of strength that gives you when you recognize what you are feeling (the urge to binge) and conquer it by eating something better for you, then exercising! The more you eat healthy, it is likely that you will crave foods that aren't that healthy. That has been the case for me, and it is just amazing to not have those cravings most of the time.

Well done! Congratulations!! I hope that you can find the strength and will power to conquer the urge to binge the next time it rolls around, too. Be sure to come here to the boards, and I bet you'll find all kinds of support. I love this site and the folks on here! They are all so very helpful and encouraging!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Great work, that's a real victory! Use all these comments to strengthen you next time you get those feelings again...

Keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!