How old were you when your best friend moved away?

Options
2»

Replies

• MelLouBro
    MelLouBro Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    They didn't; we did. We'd lived in Big Sandy, TX from birth until we were 12 in 1992. We went to school and Church together, plus playdates and sleepovers often. Not only did we move 30 minutes away, but we changed Churches. I never have gotten over it...
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    Being the Navy brat, i was the one that always moved away...Shoot, now that I'm grown...I still moved away. smh...I just moved from Chicago where I lived for 11 yrs to maryland where my family is located.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was the one who moved away :( I was 10 and we lost touch, but I found him again about 4 years ago, so we're in touch some now....I missed him and thought about him all those years!

I think it's different nowdays, with all the technology, etc. your 16 year-old should be able to stay in contact through phone, facebook etc. Not the same as in person, but better than nothing!

They have a web cam and Skype, so I will be looking into that to help both of them. They will be coming back for Thanksgiving so that isn't too far off. I just hate it for both the boys being so close for so long and boys just aren't the same about that stuff that girls are I think.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am the one that moved away when I was 15. I used to visit a couple times a year, then once a year, then every few, and now it's probably been 3 or more years.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I was in 7th grade. Known eachother since 2nd grade. We still talk every now and then.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    19 and i cried like a baby! :sad: :sad:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I was the friend that moved. I live in Louisiana and in 05 when Hurricane Katrina hit (I was 15) I moved from New Orleans to Baton Rouge, roughly an hour's drive on the interstate away from my two best friends. We kept up via the internet since the three of us were used to being online after school anyway and on occasion my mother would make the drive on a Friday night to pick them up, bring them up to our home, and let me have a sleepover.

Both friends are gone now, but it wasn't due to distance.

I did have a really great friend, though, in elementary school that moved to Ohio when I was 9. I didn't hear from her until recently when we found each other on Facebook. There's not a whole lot we have in common these days but it let us catch up if nothing else.
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I moved away from my best friend when i was 36...friends for 23 years...and still are..talk everyday!!

But, my childhood friends, none really BEST friends
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I was always the friend who moved. My family never stayed in one place for more than 3 years. In recent years, Facebook has been a fantastic tool for finding friends I never thought I'd hear from again.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I'm the one who moved away but my BFF has been that since I was 7...we are still the best of friends despite being in separate states.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I moved away and never looked back. I was sorta the dorky geek no one wanted to hang out with. You got to take the time, get to know us dorky geeks, sometimes we turn out to be the best people.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I was 12 when she moved from VA to GA. We used to visit each other in the summer and we did that every year till we were 19. When I was 20 I met my husband and she was engaged. My soon to be husband mentioned that may be she should be careful because he felt like her soon to be husband was not being totally honest with her and himself (he was trying to nicely say that he thought her fiance may be gay) nothing wrong with that he just did not want to see her hurt in the end. Well about 8 months later we get a phone call that the wedding is off 2 months before they are supposed to walk down the aisle. The wedding is off because my husband was in fact right. Now it is 13 years later she is unmarried and refuses to speak to me because I am still married.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Army Brat. Always found a best friend wherever we moved, but always knew that time would be short.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    My childhood friends I had a few close friends. But I actually didn't meet my best friend until I was 20yrs old back in 2007. She moved away in 2009. She came and visited a few times. Then we went 2yrs without seeing each other. Due to financial issues on both are parts. But we talked everyday. We still do. This past weekend after 2yrs I was finally able to go down and visit her and it was amazing! I'm planning on going back in August she has to have surgery :(
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My childhood friends I had a few close friends. But I actually didn't meet my best friend until I was 20yrs old back in 2007. She moved away in 2009. She came and visited a few times. Then we went 2yrs without seeing each other. Due to financial issues on both are parts. But we talked everyday. We still do. This past weekend after 2yrs I was finally able to go down and visit her and it was amazing! I'm planning on going back in August she has to have surgery :(

My very best friend I haven't been able to see or talk to in almost 2 yrs. Things are changing and I hope to see her this fall! I can't wait and I know that we will pick up exactly were we left off.