muslcle cramps and soreness

Options
I've been having some really odd things happen lately.

First, I've not really changed my exercise routine drastically but over the last week whenever I take my cardio classes the very top of my calves keep cramping. It's as if the muscle just siezes up and then won't let go, sorta like a charly horse and then my calves are sore for a day or so.

Then last night, after a regular workout of 60 minutes of a cardio class and about 30 minutes of stretching, I go home and suddenly my whole body was tight and sore. It was pretty painful most of the night but I'm back to normal now.

Any thoughts? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what this could be?

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Also, are you cooling down after your workouts?
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't getting enough potassium. I heard that causes cramps and charley horses.

Eat bananas -high potassium:happy:
  • casteenhoek
    Options
    Bananas are only mediocre in potassium. To get more bang for your calorie buck, check out the USDA data on potassium content at the following website.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My diet's pretty rich in potassium and I drink plenty of water. I'll increase it and see if it helps. I did at one time have a problem with really low potassium.

Thanks,
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    potassium isn't the only mineral that can cause cramping. Sodium and calcium are both needed too. Especially if you are doing cardio.

Make sure you're getting enough sodium, and calcium throughout the day. I know too much sodium is stressed on here a lot, but truth be told, besides bloating, going over by a few hundred mg's of sodium isn't all that big of a deal unless you are at risk for high blood pressure, and going too low can have it's own consequences, cramps during/after exercise being one.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it my calcium is probably pretty low as I hate milk and have cut out cheese recently. Good thought! I'd better add some in. Unfortunately, I'm a salt junkie so I expect that my sodium is fine.

Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it my calcium is probably pretty low as I hate milk and have cut out cheese recently. Good thought! I'd better add some in. Unfortunately, I'm a salt junkie so I expect that my sodium is fine.

Thanks!

hehe. NP. Yeah, can be anyone of the "milky, chalky" minerals we need, they all help out with hydration and muscle activity.