These carbs are KILLING me!!! HELP!!

I can't believe every day I look at my food scale on mfp (it's on the mobile app) and my carbs are ALWAY 50% or more each DAY!!

My protein is then 30% and fat being about 20%

I need help with this....any tips would be VERY appreciated!!

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Me too! I need to get my carbs down to 40! I'm cutting waaaaay down on bagels, that should fix it.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I can't believe every day I look at my food scale on mfp (it's on the mobile app) and my carbs are ALWAY 50% or more each DAY!!

And the problem with this is?
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Research, not just here. I started a low carb diet a few months ago and found LOTS of information online.
    Its there if you want it. I found food lists with carb amounts.. start there get rid of high carb foods and eat more low carb ones.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    And people wonder why we feel the need to debunk the carbophobic bullsh!t.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Do you have insulin resistance or a medical condition that requires really low carb or are you just trying a low carb diet? Without seeing your diary I don't know how low your carbs are or what is contributing toward it. If you are trying to stay lower carb, I would make swaps like using lettuce to wrap burgers and sandwiches, and using spaghetti squash in place of pasta (I do that a lot- it saves calories too!). Maybe increase veggies that have lots of fiber in them and eat those first before eating the higher-carb food so you will be fuller and not eat as much of it.
  • if you look at dr. oz's website, he gives some great tips about how to switch out the carbs that hurt your diet for carbs that are more beneficial for your diet. this way you aren't eating empty calories. try uping your protein if you can with like greek yogurt at lunch or something.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    I'm trying to lose weight, not maintain or gain.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing. Low carb diets are essential for people with certain medical issues, not the general public. Just make sure the carbs you eat give you the most bang for your buck (least amount of processing possible).
  • missfelicia6
    if you look at dr. oz's website, he gives some great tips about how to switch out the carbs that hurt your diet for carbs that are more beneficial for your diet. this way you aren't eating empty calories. try uping your protein if you can with like greek yogurt at lunch or something.

Thanks, finally a decent answer!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Some people say that cutting carbs makes you lose weight. I am not finding this to be so for me.

Since June 1, I have been experimenting with eating 50-100 gr carbs per day (kinda primal-ish). I've had 4 days over 100, but the average over 28 days has been 97 gr carbs per day. Prior to June 1 I only aimed for 30% protein without regard for carbs. I was eating 200-300 gr carbs a day. I'm measuring and tracking very carefully; and I keep a spreadsheet so I can run the averages and see the weight trend (I weigh daily and track it on Hacker). On average over these 28 days my macros have been 52 fat, 33 protein, 15 carb.

So . . . . 28 days into my experiment I have lost . . . . . 1 pound. (This is the average weight for June compared to the average weight for May, but actually today I am up by 2 lbs after a carby day yesterday).

That being said, I have discovered some interesting things about eating Primal(ish):

1. I am not lactose intolerant. I thought that I was for many years. Perhaps it was WHEAT that was the problem, or the combination of dairy and wheat.

2. The scale fluctuations while eating fewer carbs are less dramatic. I ate 133 carbs yesterday due to Bunko at my house, and went up 2 lbs. this morning. Also last Sat I went to a baby shower and the scale took a big jump Sunday morning thanks to the cake and cookies. The rest of the month when the carbs were <100 the scale would read the same for many days in a row, or fluctuate by only a few tenths of a pound.

3. I am not more fatigued due to a lack of carbs.

4. I did not experience carb "flu"

5. It is very challenging to make my calorie goal without eating carbs (I work out every day and burn a LOT of calories). Overall my avg. daily net calories for these past 28 days has been only 1514, despite my best efforts not to fall below 1650.

6. Overall, my stomach is not bloating and I feel better after meals, HOWEVER, motility is a challenge. First time in my life I am needing some natural supplements to assist. Ahem. Some would blame that on the protein, but I was already eating high protein before I tried this primal experiment.

7. It's not that hard to keep carbs under 100. You just have to get over that mental shock of how much fat you're eating.

Conclusion: none. Ha. I'm really essentially at goal anyway, but I was hoping eating fewer carbs would assist in body fat loss and that I could expose my 6-pack. It hasn't happened yet. I'm still going; we'll see.

EDIT: I haven't actually measured my body fat, so I don't know if it went down. I just know I can't see a 6-pack. Good thing I'm not a scientist bc I'd get fired.
  • FinsUpBindy
    FinsUpBindy Posts: 39 Member
    Gahhh same here! and I'm realizing that my sugar intake is more than I'd like!
  • missfelicia6
    Some people say that cutting carbs makes you lose weight. I am not finding this to be so for me.

Since June 1, I have been experimenting with eating 50-100 gr carbs per day (kinda primal-ish). I've had 4 days over 100, but the average over 28 days has been 97 gr carbs per day. Prior to June 1 I only aimed for 30% protein without regard for carbs. I was eating 200-300 gr carbs a day. I'm measuring and tracking very carefully; and I keep a spreadsheet so I can run the averages and see the weight trend (I weigh daily and track it on Hacker). On average over these 28 days my macros have been 52 fat, 33 protein, 15 carb.

So . . . . 28 days into my experiment I have lost . . . . . 1 pound. (This is the average weight for June compared to the average weight for May, but actually today I am up by 2 lbs after a carby day yesterday).

That being said, I have discovered some interesting things about eating Primal(ish):

1. I am not lactose intolerant. I thought that I was for many years. Perhaps it was WHEAT that was the problem, or the combination of dairy and wheat.

2. The scale fluctuations while eating fewer carbs are less dramatic. I ate 133 carbs yesterday due to Bunko at my house, and went up 2 lbs. this morning. Also last Sat I went to a baby shower and the scale took a big jump Sunday morning thanks to the cake and cookies. The rest of the month when the carbs were <100 the scale would read the same for many days in a row, or fluctuate by only a few tenths of a pound.

3. I am not more fatigued due to a lack of carbs.

4. I did not experience carb "flu"

5. It is very challenging to make my calorie goal without eating carbs (I work out every day and burn a LOT of calories). Overall my avg. daily net calories for these past 28 days has been only 1514, despite my best efforts not to fall below 1650.

6. Overall, my stomach is not bloating and I feel better after meals, HOWEVER, motility is a challenge. First time in my life I am needing some natural supplements to assist. Ahem. Some would blame that on the protein, but I was already eating high protein before I tried this primal experiment.

7. It's not that hard to keep carbs under 100. You just have to get over that mental shock of how much fat you're eating.

Conclusion: none. Ha. I'm really essentially at goal anyway, but I was hoping eating fewer carbs would assist in body fat loss and that I could expose my 6-pack. It hasn't happened yet. I'm still going; we'll see.

EDIT: I haven't actually measured my body fat, so I don't know if it went down. I just know I can't see a 6-pack. Good thing I'm not a scientist bc I'd get fired.
    Oh, thanks for the info!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    if you look at dr. oz's website, you're getting your head filled with nonsense

FYP.
  • missfelicia6
    i cut out all sugar ten days ago!! I'm loving that!
  • missfelicia6
    if you look at dr. oz's website, you're getting your head filled with nonsense

FYP.
    Really? Do you have any advice I can try?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm trying to lose weight, not maintain or gain.

OK - so the ONLY way to lose weight is low carb? Not true ...... low carb is POPULAR right now. Low carb is for people with medical issues (diabetes ... among others). Low carb (or rather carb cycling) is helpful for people who are looking for very low body fat (ie: body builders).

Just concentrate on getting enough protein and good fats. Then, make sure the rest (carbs) are healthy ones. Not added sugars and processed crap.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member

Oh, thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas (exclude yesterday and last Saturday). Basically, you want to eat primal-ish or paleo (if you can kick dairy and legumes totally out), to get those carbs down. Your fat will go WAY up, but it seems to be effective for many people.

google Primal or Paleo on nerdfitness.com for some intro information. If you think you want to go there you could get the books and read (confess I have not read the books, again I fail as a scientist).

blessings.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Just saw this today... Somewhat related as far as the carb or not to carb question:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Hardest part seems to be avoiding the whole "added sugars" if you have any packaged foods or dining out in your life. :)
  • quinjacobs
    quinjacobs Posts: 10
    i cut out all sugar ten days ago!! I'm loving that!

So you cut out fruits and veggies? Good call...
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I eat less carbs because I was pre-diabetic and have a gluten allergy. If you just want to lower your carbs eat more protein( greek yogurt, nonfat cheese, lean meat or nuts, soybeans). Although I do miss the carbs sometimes(Pizza, bread, desserts) I have learned to do without or substitute.